Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 16-11-09, 10:04 AM
The Guvnor

OC3D Review: Asus Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Mul takes a look at the Asus Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card.

Continue Reading

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Old 16-11-09, 10:28 AM

Very nice review covered enough to want to buy one.

Asus Maximus

Kingston HyperX 8500 DDR2 2GB (thanks OC3D)

Thermochill PA120.3 3x panaflo,

D Tek Fuzion, Maze 4 GPU

ATI X1900XT

Corsair 620HX

2 X Samsung 500GB
Old 16-11-09, 10:47 AM
OC3D Elite

Awesome card, it's a damn shame that they've seen fit to hype the prices. All said and done, hitting the market at around £200 and slipping to £175-ish would have made it mouth-watering for some.

I think it's gotten to the stage that lack of availabilty needs to be in the bad section 'at the time of writing', in so much that when ASUS see the review/feedback they can perhaps take more notice of what the enthusiasts are saying also. Having a choice, but not being able to find it, is a really bad thing.

Tool looks good, not so good with the voltage thing lacking, perhaps an upd8 will come along to sort that out.

Typical of ASUS gfxcards I've experienced of late, well build, look pretty good and is probably sounds strange, but I bet it felt good when u took it out of the anti static.

Good stuff, bad timing maybe.

Old 16-11-09, 11:31 AM
OC3D Elite

The price gouging is unacceptable IMO. The lack of availability for these new products (and SSD's) is getting to be a bit of a joke.

It is a nice mid range card though, it performs well on the test bed. It will be interesting to see how these DX11 cards handle DX11 titles...
Old 16-11-09, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
The price gouging is unacceptable IMO. The lack of availability for these new products (and SSD's) is getting to be a bit of a joke.

It is a nice mid range card though, it performs well on the test bed. It will be interesting to see how these DX11 cards handle DX11 titles...
I totally agree it's like us saying we are now going to work 3 days a week but to cover for the lack of wages we will increase our wages by 40% to cover for the loss we will take.

These Basterds decide to make less and charge more to keep their income the same as making more for less. We are in recession all workers get litlle or no wage increase and companies like this will reduce staff to make less then charge more to make the price right so the Basterds at the top make more money for employing less and working less as well.

Simple answer no one buy a single item until the price drops, we can easily force them to drop the price, it would not harm us to not buy the card for a month yet it would cripple their company if we don't.

Asus Maximus

D Tek Fuzion, Maze 4 GPU

ATI X1900XT

Corsair 620HX

2 X Samsung 500GB
Old 16-11-09, 11:03 PM

Am i the only one that noticed the Crysis Warhead graph was actually the Call of Duty stats?

Maybe it's because i always jump to those FPS results

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='kimandsally'

Simple answer no one buy a single item until the price drops, we can easily force them to drop the price, it would not harm us to not buy the card for a month yet it would cripple their comany if we don't.
If people weren't out trying to buy them the price wouldn't be so high, ye olde supply and demand.

Blame the ****s that want to pay over the odds for such kit, the buisness' are just taking advantage of it... unfortunately that's what all business' do!

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/HT

H/SINK: Corsair H50 w/Noctua P12 Push/Pull.

M/B: ASUS x58 P6T Deluxe V2

RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengence @ 1600MHz CL9.

GPU: 2 x AMD 6970 Xfire

APU: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude.

HDD (O/S+APPs)/(Files): WD V.Raptor 300GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB.

Enclosure: NNXT Phantom Black.

PSU: BeQuiet 1200W.

Monitor: Dell 2408WFP A00.

O/S: MS Windows 7 Professional x64
Old 16-11-09, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Yikes, that was a bit of a mix up on my part! Fixed
Old 16-11-09, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Maverick1dj'

f people weren't out trying to buy them the price wouldn't be so high, ye olde supply and demand.

Blame the ****s that want to pay over the odds for such kit, the buisness' are just taking advantage of it... unfortunately that's what all business' do!
Another one of the lads good on you at least there are a few of us that will not pay over inflated prices.

Asus Maximus

D Tek Fuzion, Maze 4 GPU

ATI X1900XT

Corsair 620HX

2 X Samsung 500GB
Old 17-11-09, 11:51 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Maverick1dj'

If people weren't out trying to buy them the price wouldn't be so high, ye olde supply and demand.

It's kinda ironic too that through-out mostly all of this period, everyone and their dog, who would slam the other camp for being as expensive as they want to be - have pretty much all shut the hell up.

Ipso, it's not the manufacturers fault, it's the consumer ?

U are correct tho. The prices for everything are there - take it or leave it. Just as when fuel is running out, minor stations will jack up their prices.

Let's be consistent tho aye.

Old 17-11-09, 12:46 PM

A businesses purpose is to make money so you can't blame them for latching onto the rarity of a product and hacking up the prices, I'm not saying it's moral, but i certainly don't find it surprising, when has any business corporation been successful from being moral? It just doesn't go hand in hand.

The only power we consumers have is to club together, unfortunately that seems to be against our nature, there's enough show offs and kit junkies out there that want to one up their peers by shelving unnecessarily amounts of cash out for the newest and best kit in spite of their own wallet just to say 'I have this, you don't!' IMO these people let the side down, it's foolish false macho-ism .

As for the whole camp/fan-boy behaviour i really don't get it, i have no loyalty to any company as they have no loyalty to me (first paragraph explains this) those who think they do are truly misinformed, when i build a PC or purchase components i buy the best i can for the money I'm willing to spend with a slight eye on the near future. The company that get's my cash is the one that offers the best goods cheapest... period.

performance/cost/longevity - no amount of branding, advertising, supply issues, rave reviews will detract me from these 3 basic rules.

anyways... bit of a rant and well off topic whoopsies

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0GHz w/HT

H/SINK: Corsair H50 w/Noctua P12 Push/Pull.

M/B: ASUS x58 P6T Deluxe V2

RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengence @ 1600MHz CL9.

GPU: 2 x AMD 6970 Xfire

APU: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude.

HDD (O/S+APPs)/(Files): WD V.Raptor 300GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB.

Enclosure: NNXT Phantom Black.

PSU: BeQuiet 1200W.

Monitor: Dell 2408WFP A00.

O/S: MS Windows 7 Professional x64