Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Cases & Power
View Poll Results: Antec CP-850 or TPQ-850?
Antec CP-850 3 100.00%
Antec TPQ-850 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-10-09, 09:57 PM

Which Antec PSU? CP-850 vs. TPQ-850

I am looking for some advice on which PSU I should get. I am trying to decide between an Antec CP-850 Watt and TPQ-850 Watt. I will be using it an Antec P183 case. I need a PSU that is reliable and can handle somewhat austere environments. I move around a lot and often live overseas (both 1st and 3rd world countries). I need something that can handle the demands of the system I am building and less then US standard power grids. I will of course have some sort of a power conditioner to plug it into. From the build you’ll probably guess that I am into gaming (though not crysis) and I do a fair amount of Photoshopping and video converting.

The new build will be spec’d out as follows:

• Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.6GHz – 3.0 GHz (oc’d)

• CoolMaster V8 CPU cooler 180W

• Intel x58 LGA 1366, tri SLI mobo (exact make TBD)

• 12 GB (6x2G OCZ DDR3 16000 (PC3 128000)

• 2x BFG 260GTX 216 core, 448-bit, 896MB in SLI

• OCZ Agility Series 2.5inch 60GB SATA II MLC Internal SSD

• WD 160GB SATA HDD black

• WD 320GB SATA HDD blue

• 2x WD Green SATA HDD(s)

• Internal card reader

• 4-6 USB devices

• Antec P183 case w/120mm fans x4

*I do not plan to use liquid cooling or LED/CC tubes.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read and reply.

Old 30-10-09, 12:36 PM
The Guvnor

Simple answer - buy a corsair.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 04-11-09, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tinytomlogan'
Simple answer - buy a corsair.
Just no. Corsair make average enthusiast power supplies, the Antec CP-850 is better than any 850W from Corsair, 'sides the HX850, and it's only slightly below that in terms of efficiency, and actually beats it on voltage stability and ripple suppression. The TX series are meh. The HX series are quite outstanding, however. Especially the newer 750HX and 850HX, they're built on a newer CWT DSG design, as opposed to most other Corsair PSUs which use the older CWT PSH design. There are exceptions, though. The 650TX is built by SeaSonic, and is actually a better quality PSU than its big brother, the 750TX.

OP: The TPQ is made by Enhance and has 64A/768W on the 12V rail, the CP-850 has 768W on the 12V rail also and is made by Delta Electronics.

The CP-850 is the better quality power supply, and has a few modular cables if I remember correctly.

Either of those PSUs are overkill for that computer, to be honest. If you're not going to add a third video card, then I'd get a 750W power supply. The Antec TruePower New 750W is an amazing choice, and is better than the TX750 from Corsair in terms of... well, everything. It has more stable rails, less voltage ripple and higher efficiency. It's made by SeaSonic, and is similar to SeaSonic's M12D platform, which is awesome by the way. The Antec TruePower New 750W is a better quality PSU than either of the other two Antec PSUs mentioned.
Old 04-11-09, 07:48 PM
OC3D Elite

What's the wages like at Antec btw?

Buy Corsair.

/thread.
Old 04-11-09, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='VonBlade'

Buy Corsair.

/thread.
I'm 14, I don't work anywhere.

The fact is: The Antec CP-850 is superior to most Corsair models, save the HX850, like I mentioned. And the TruePower New 750W is superior to most Corsair models, save the HX750/HX850 design. I'm not any brand's fanboy when it comes to PSUs, but I am OEM fanboys, and SeaSonic are the best.

If you're going to recommend Corsair, at least give some reasons why.

The TX850 from Corsair is a decent power supply, but it's nothing amazing. It has better efficiency, and is more stable than its little brother the TX750, but it has efficiency problems in hot tests; its efficiency doesn't always stay over 80%.

The CWT PSH design is slightly outdated now, and still decent, but there are much better platforms.

Corsair does have a good warranty, though. 5 years is quite a long time, but then again: is the OP going to even have the power supply in 5 years' time? Probably not.
Old 04-11-09, 07:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='VonBlade'

Buy Corsair.

/thread.
Do you realise how stupid that post is?

You're calling him a fan boy for reccomending the Antec against the Corsair (When the OP asked about Antec PSUs anyway..) and then go on to reccomend the Corsair without any reason whatsoever, and then imply that's the end to the thread, as if Corsair are the definitive choice...

LGW2452TX-PF | Logitech G9 | Logitech G15 | Logitech Z5500

Old 04-11-09, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PeterStoba'
Do you realise how stupid that post is?

You're calling him a fan boy for reccomending the Antec against the Corsair (When the OP asked about Antec PSUs anyway..) and then go on to reccomend the Corsair without any reason whatsoever, and then imply that's the end to the thread, as if Corsair are the definitive choice...
Exactly right. Thanks for the backup.

It's not about Corsair or Antec. It's about SeaSonic vs. CWT. Any generic brand could produce an amazing line of PSUs if their PSU's internals were made by an amazing OEM, and you don't really get better than SeaSonic. They've got the lowest failure rate of any OEM too.
Old 04-11-09, 08:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Well I'm mildly amused.

The fact of the matter is pretty much any psu mentioned in this thread would be adequate for nearly any pc.

There's steering someone away form a bad product and then there spiting hairs.
Old 04-11-09, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
Well I'm mildly amused.

The fact of the matter is pretty much any psu mentioned in this thread would be adequate for nearly any pc.

There's steering someone away form a bad product and then there spiting hairs.
You're right.

The OP did ask for a choice between two power supplies, though, so I gave him my opinion on which is the better PSU (The CP-850).

I always get annoyed with people recommending PSUs and things with no reasons why...
Old 04-11-09, 09:21 PM
OC3D Crew

The only way to obtain a good opinion of these two PSU's would be to talk to people who have these PSU's installed in their own systems.