Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 23-10-09, 01:07 AM
The Guvnor

OC3D Review: HEC Compucase Couger 1000CM

When we first saw the pictures of the Couger 1000w psu we couldnt wait to test it and see if it performs as well as it looks. By the power that is - Jim.

Continue Reading

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 23-10-09, 06:27 AM
OC3D Elite

shame he didnt destroy it... Horrible results for such a costly piece of hardware...
Old 23-10-09, 07:03 AM

It's a shame that peformance wasn't better. I would definately have bought one of these units for my rig otherwise. Maybe if they sort out some issues I might get one when I get around to painting my case orange.
Old 23-10-09, 07:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Socks'
shame he didnt destroy it... Horrible results for such a costly piece of hardware...
As Tom will attest, when I was doing the Max load testing on this unit I was positively bricking myself. It got up to 1400w before powering off the first time and I had my eyes practically closed the entire time (still a bit tender from the XFX ordeal)

Luckily the OCP/OPP kicked in before anything went "POP" every time. So at least the safety is there.
Old 23-10-09, 08:08 AM
OC3D Elite

still... no match for corsair or cm psus.. especially for the money...its like buying thermal take watercooling kit cos it "looks nice"....

looks over performance = FAIL!
Old 23-10-09, 01:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Compucase have responded to the review with the following statement:

Quote:

Dear James,

Firstly I would like to thank you and Overclock3d for reviewing our Cougar power supply posted 23rd October 2009. Admittedly it was not the kind of review that we were hoping for nor expecting.

Action had to be taken by Compucase HEC, this industry relies heavily on reviews and word of mouth, for us to not do anything was unthinkable, therefore the review went directly to our R&D department and the product manager in Taiwan where they took the review apart paragraph by paragraph.

The good news is a revised version will be going into production next week of the 1000w, that will address the ripple issue that you highlighted as well as some other smaller points you brought to our attention.

I firmly believe this has been a worthwhile exercise that has allowed us to revisit, review and correct the issues you highlighted, we wanted to demonstrate the level of support you could expect from Compucase HEC, being the “new kid on the block” (excuse the pun) we have to work that little bit harder to prove ourselves.

Mark Szachno

Compucase UK Ltd.
Furthermore, Compucase have also agreed to send us a revised unit when they are available.
Old 23-10-09, 05:50 PM
The Guvnor

Now thats what you call a reply, they put there hands up and are looking to fix the problem.....

Now where is that XFX reply........? Nope cant find one.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 23-10-09, 06:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Good on them! Nice to see a manuf listening.
Old 23-10-09, 06:27 PM
OC3D Crew

thats quality from them, shud make u feel its all worth while
Old 23-10-09, 09:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Now thats a pleasant suprise.

Its not often in this day and age that a manufacturer would actually listen to a review and even let the R&D dept know of the findings so pre production changes can be tweaked.

money spent pre production will save on warranty exchanges and give a "new kid on the block" a far better reputation.

Better to be known for reliability than have a good RMA service imo.

Good on you Compucase HEC.

As Tom mentioned, XFX come out of the shadows , we know you are watching, too ashamed perhaps?
Biostar Tpower I55, I5 750 @ 4.2Ghz, 4GB Kingston DDR3, Custom water loop - Thermochill PA120.3, Heatkiller 3.0 LC, Laing DDC Ultra, XSPC res top, XSPC white hose, Asus 5870, Antec Quattro 1000, Lian Li PC-X2000, Win7 ultimate.