Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 08-10-09, 05:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Nvidia Don't Plan Future AMD Motherboards

After cancelling their Lynnfield supporting chipset, they have no plans for AMD either.

Continue Reading

LGW2452TX-PF | Logitech G9 | Logitech G15 | Logitech Z5500

Old 08-10-09, 06:14 PM
OC3D Elite

if this is true they are givin amd to much headroom to play with on the market! as amd/ati are basically the same company there is just gonna be too much choice with amd/ati components too many combinations!

intel should buy em out/merge then see the war begin

asus top gtx260, 4gb geil ultra 2133mhz

1tb f1 spinpoint, toughpowers 1200w psu

falling apart antec 1200
Old 08-10-09, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

What does this mean for sli support?
Asus Maximus III Gene
8GIG Corsair XMS3 1600mhz - Corsair HX1000
BENQ XL2411Z - Asus Xonar D2 - Logitech Z906

Old 08-10-09, 11:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='steve30x'
What does this mean for sli support?
no new amd boards like 790fx/gx but newer versions will support them anymore!!

only the intel chipsets like x58 or if the newer 1 goes to x68 or x59 whatever its gonna be!!

asus top gtx260, 4gb geil ultra 2133mhz

1tb f1 spinpoint, toughpowers 1200w psu

falling apart antec 1200
Old 09-10-09, 10:09 AM
OC3D Elite

Shouldn't concern AMD on the tech side of things, financial and planning it may be a real pain. Especially if it has a knock-on effect with the likes of mobo manufacturers. Theory being there, if the tale is true enough and there isn't that great a market for AMD cpus, we could see mobo manufacturers not seeing it viable to produce them either.

I wouldn't hope for it to be true, but the sales of Intel i5/7 cpus can't be great, and although decent enough cpus, I can't imagine AMD's figures being compareable. Problem here is the lack of advancement in tech.

nVidia, with this cpugpu theory going on, is exactly what I hoped AMD were going to do when they acquired ATI. They had/have the idea inhouse relationship in place of the whole backbone of a gaming rig (with maybe a little help from Realtek and any mobo manufacturer). They can either break away from standards or develope technical links, that an AMD cpu and AMD gpu can do that the competition have absolutely no-chance of competing with, merely based on architecture. I questioned the chances of them doing this at the moment they aquired ATI but they seriously don't appear to want to go down that road.

With the likes of gaming developers having nVidia travel to their company to assist is the dev of gaming's future, which costs nVidia millions each year - apparently their only department that is designed specifically not to make money - AMD are being invited by the games devs but declining. I can't see that being good for them as these things will create ongoing relationships. (to google this, u need to look for nVidia using stiff-arm, corporate, tactics to BLOCK AMD from any gaming dev ! - which ofc turned out not to be the case when the game devs were interviewed, but that's par for the course)

Not good for the industry as a whole, or the enthusiast, as it could

lead to the 2 camps building bigger and bigger bridges. A situation where AMD/nVidia(Intel) pcs would be like XBox/Sony. AMD's bread and butter being cpus, would they even keep ATI as an interest ? Very speculative and very forward thinking.

nVidia could well be at a stage now where a 'game' could be dev'd that only needs the mobo's cpu to handle launching of the OS and i/o to components. Further on, I can envisage this being less and less required. Spend big bucks on ur nVidia gpu, and the cpu doesn't really matter cos it doesn't impact the game at-all. I can see now, in geek bedrooms all over the world, people trying to run nix on the likes of a gt300 in the future. B4 the Amiga ideal died it's popular death, this was very close to what happened to it's tech. U launched the Amiga with it's 68k20 cpu, then the addon PPC603/604 card kicked in and took over. (this is ofc decades ago, but even with 32 bit back then it was do-able) Myself I was able to run Redhat and the Mac flavor of the time, 8/9.x I think.

Think the biggest problem for the industry came around 2006 - the lack of advancements. It's not leading to the mass of upgrades we used to experience. There no ~real~ need for upgrades other than ePeen. 20 more fps in ur already 80fps game ? why ? and for hundreds of ££££ ?

The upgrade for the experienced enthusiast now I think comes from curiosity. That's not going to produce massive sales tho.

Old 19-10-09, 12:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Tony Tamasi, Senior Vice President for Content and Technology at Nvidia and the man responsible for the strategic direction of the company’s graphics processors has told Fudzilla that Fermi could run an OS.

Don’t get all that excited you cannot really run Windows on Fermi GT300-based GPU, but if you would make a heavily optimised Linux it could potentially run on Fermi. So tweakers, this will be a fun task for you.

This answer the question what is going on with Nvidia’s CPU as Fermi is a GPU that starts to get a lot of interesting features of a CPU which will surely help it in the computing world. Fermi won't replace a CPU as “you will need a CPU to run an OS” and this is what Jensen said more than once at Nvidia's GPU technology conference.

With this in mind, GT300 - Fermi is definitely something more than just a gaming chip called GPU, it’s a CGPU where C in our opinion should be stand for computation. We are sure that the new architecture that comes in roughly two years will get even more CPU features, if necessary.
Some quote from that great source of info that is Fudzilla (pfft).

Boot the pc, launch linux on the graphic card. U could have a 2600 Sempron in the pc - it wouldn't matter.