Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 30-09-09, 08:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Zotac Bring 'High End' ION System

Popular for their Mini ITX motherboards, Zotac do it again with their ION ITX-F series.

Continue Reading

LGW2452TX-PF | Logitech G9 | Logitech G15 | Logitech Z5500

Old 30-09-09, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Not bad, but think I'll get one of the older ones still. Just gonna be using mine as a media PC in the front room so no need for a PCI-E slot. What are people going to put in it? A decent graphics card is an option but for gaming you'd be better with one of the socket 775 mitx boards they do, definately wouldnt be wanting to game on an atom board
Old 01-10-09, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

About the only thing that springs to mind here is,"Why?".

Our testing with the Mini ITX ION platform a while back had already shown that the integrated GeForce 9400M was being held back by the Atom and despite this could still offer the ability to play light games and also 1080p HD without issue. Based on this, why would anyone want to drop anything more powerful in? About the only possible reason that springs to mind is a mini GPU Folding@Home box.
Old 01-10-09, 03:52 PM
OC3D Elite

It's all about cramming them into small units. Net stuff, watch a moving, office.

Bet u could play WoW on it if u wanted.

All from a small box, perhaps next to ur tv.

I like the options these things give. More for mod'ers than for oc'ers.

Old 02-10-09, 10:13 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm still waiting for a pico ITX ion and atom system to turn up, then I will be very happy...

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 03-10-09, 09:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mul.'
About the only thing that springs to mind here is,"Why?".

Our testing with the Mini ITX ION platform a while back had already shown that the integrated GeForce 9400M was being held back by the Atom and despite this could still offer the ability to play light games and also 1080p HD without issue. Based on this, why would anyone want to drop anything more powerful in? About the only possible reason that springs to mind is a mini GPU Folding@Home box.
Mainly for a HTPC im guessing. Clearly its going to be crap for gaming. The atom 330 is meant to help alot with speed issues.

for a connected house, have one of these behind each tv running your favourite software. I hope they continue to inovate mini/nano and pico itx form factors.

EDIT: I'm really looking forward to the following > VIA EPIA-P720 Pico-ITX

Old 03-10-09, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='nathan'
Mainly for a HTPC im guessing. Clearly its going to be crap for gaming. The atom 330 is meant to help alot with speed issues.

for a connected house, have one of these behind each tv running your favourite software. I hope they continue to inovate mini/nano and pico itx form factors.

EDIT: I'm really looking forward to the following > VIA EPIA-P720 Pico-ITX
Well here's the thing though. The GeForce 9400M is good enough for High Definition content, at least at present. That PCI-E slot would come in handy for CUDA based apps like Folding@Home and upcoming media encoding apps. I think my point is however that if someone's needs are more than just 1080p media and light HTPC use, then surely it makes more sense to spend similar money for an ITX Board that allows for the use of a Core 2 Duo's/Athlon II's for example, which run circles around the Atom 330.
Old 05-10-09, 05:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mul.'
Well here's the thing though. The GeForce 9400M is good enough for High Definition content, at least at present. That PCI-E slot would come in handy for CUDA based apps like Folding@Home and upcoming media encoding apps. I think my point is however that if someone's needs are more than just 1080p media and light HTPC use, then surely it makes more sense to spend similar money for an ITX Board that allows for the use of a Core 2 Duo's/Athlon II's for example, which run circles around the Atom 330.
i was just giving you a reason for "why?" We dont all game you know or have the same requirements.

Old 05-10-09, 11:58 PM
Advanced Member

I whole heartedly agree with you. I just think that if one doesn't game, then surely the surprisingly capable 9400M based GPU on the ION platform will suffice. Hope you didn't take my post the wrong way, was merely discussing.