Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 31-08-09, 10:39 AM

3870 with fried Power MOSFETs

I received Triplex ATI 3870 graphic card, connected to my system, plugged 6pin power cable and on powering up the system fire and smoke came up. It's the first time it happens to me, so I was quite suprised. It seems power MOSFET STD70N02L blew off and I was just thinking is it worth trying to change them and try to power up second time or don't risk and bin it. Any suggestions would be great.

Old 31-08-09, 10:49 AM
OC3D Elite

Just keep an eye on the costings.

If u can source the bits cheap and have confidence with an iron, then go for it. Some of the gfxcard pcbs can be a real pita to solder, but those should be just surface mounted with nice large contact areas.

There could ofc be an underlying problem as to why they fried - or it could be them. If there's a problem, they'll go again, so aslong as u haven't spent much replacing them u'll feel ok chucking it out after.

If u bought it tho, return it.

Nice pic tho

Old 31-08-09, 11:52 AM

Has anyone tried to do such thing? Replace them I mean. I found one russian guy with similar problem w/ 9600GT, but he hasn't updated thread, so I'm not sure was he lucky enough to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
Just keep an eye on the costings.

If u can source the bits cheap and have confidence with an iron, then go for it. Some of the gfxcard pcbs can be a real pita to solder, but those should be just surface mounted with nice large contact areas.

There could ofc be an underlying problem as to why they fried - or it could be them. If there's a problem, they'll go again, so aslong as u haven't spent much replacing them u'll feel ok chucking it out after.

If u bought it tho, return it.
It seems those moseft cost few £, but I'm not sure is worth trying luck and frying the mobo's PCI-e slot in case power source goes more throught it. That's the only concern for me. Looking at it, it's seem quite easy job with soldering.