Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 26-07-09, 07:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to w3bbo
OC3D Review: Asus Crosshair III vs DFI 790FXB M3H5

Have AMD made up any ground on Intel since we last checked them out? Find out as we pitch two AM3 motherboards against each other. You might be surprised!

Full Review Here

Old 26-07-09, 08:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Jeez I'm quite surprized tbh.

Excellent review.

Shame on DFI with some of their onboard choices ALC885 and Marvell ? c'mon - throw in the jumper and I'd expect the mobo to be cheaper.

The ASUS tho, even as the DFI kept up with it (and it can be assumed better with the model up), very very nice figures for the gamer.

Things are looking green whilst blue seems to want to confuse. Weird that cos in other respects AMD would be ... red

Old 26-07-09, 08:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to mayhem
Asus calling that a top of the range bord ...

If i was paying that much id expect 6 sata and water cooling blocks for the chip set and so much more ...

Is it relay worth that much ...

Excellent review.
Old 26-07-09, 08:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Compared to the cost of i7 motherboards its a freakin bargain!
Old 26-07-09, 08:41 PM
OC3D Elite

yeh i7 is just extortion ...

What happened to our lovely sub £100 boards that used to perform like "some thing off a stick" ..

Now there filled with useless rubbish and fancy packaging that costs more than half the bit's inside the box.

I would like my £100 Sub boards that performed back .... This is a recession were in ...

God if i was a reviewer id be the most hated reviewer out there because im so critical or half the gear they stuff inside these things.

Reviews all say yeah you get 6 sata leads and a LCD and loads of fancy this and that. Me i say remove that and drop the price by £50 / £60 quid and ill be happy.

Half the Gimmicks are just that "Pure Gimmicks" nothing more.

Im trying to avoid this coming out as a rant more trying to point out facts.

Bling is just chav.....

Don't forget im a little old fashioned as well.
Old 26-07-09, 09:08 PM
OC3D Elite

I totally agree. However I do like a well rounded product. Packaging is a major plus point with me and they score highly if its done right.

Prices have rocketted though I do agree and yeah they could cut out half the crap but when you compare the Asus vs the DFI here, both costing more or less the same the Asus wins hands down for the bling and accessories alone, let alone performance.
Old 26-07-09, 09:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='mayhem'

Reviews all say yeah you get 6 sata leads and a LCD and loads of fancy this and that. Me i say remove that and drop the price by £50 / £60 quid and ill be happy.
The way I see it is that manufacturers tend to use these "Extras" as more of a way to justify the price to the public rather than to artificially inflate it (to extent).

SATA cables, LCD screens, fancy boxes are all bought in bulk...MASSIVE bulk from China or other cheap labour countries. At most every accessory in those boxes adds £5 to the price imo.

Take for example the Striker II...That was probably the most expensive lga775 board ever. But what most people didnt get was that the chipset alone cost ASUS £100 a piece, then ASUS had all of their board building costs on top of that, BIOS coding etc and at the end of the day when they totalled it up + adding profit, they realised oh sh*t..better make this at least appear to be "fully loaded" by jamming the box full of cheap extra's.
Old 26-07-09, 09:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Didnt know that jim but still who is artificially inflating these prices ... Intel and AMD (chip sets). They need to get there act together.

There trying to increase there profits the wrong way. Cheaper in build = Higher more sales figures. Expensive = less sales , less profit more annoyed customers.

We have to remember as over clocker's, modders , water cooler ect ect were the minority and all ways will be. But why should we pay a premium price just to be in the minority.

If manufactures such as Asus ect turned around and refused to pay there prices AMD and Intel would have no choice but to drop there prices and this in turn forcing the price down.

There is a big difference between common sense and greed....

As for packaging . i worked in a ice cream factory once. the ice cream cost 2p to make the box was 12p (btw that was real ice cream the cheaper stuff was 0.05p yet packaging was same price). Packing cost more than ppl know.
Old 26-07-09, 09:45 PM
OC3D Elite

You have to remember that the high end chipsets we use will not be seen in the mainstream for some time. I had to lol the other day when PC world were advertising the next generation in computing - pentium IV. Buying premium products such as we do will always attract premium prices. Why else would AMD and Intel still cater for the enthusiast?
Old 26-07-09, 09:49 PM
OC3D Elite

so in other words we pay a premium to be a monky .....

As we test them to destruction and we have to pay over the odds for it.