Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 22-07-09, 12:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Project: Small and Mighty.

A few weeks ago I bought a new laptop and sold up my pc... However, I'm missing the whole customisation appeal already, so went on a little hunt in my attic, and found one of the old £10 cases that aqua-pcs used to sell.

Anyway, I spent a while stripping it down, this is what I got:

I sprayed the motherboard tray black a while ago for use in another project, so that's the reason for the mis-match.

The front doesn't look too great for cooling and letting air in... we'll soon change that

As the case is grilled, there was nowhere for the central part of my holesaw to go, so I had to mount some acrylic behind it.

The old front of the case was horrible, with a row of un tasteful ports and buttons. So, a new front panel was in order, so I trimmed down some acrylic to size.

I then got my trusty holesaw out once more and bore out a hole in the acrylic to allow air to pass through. I used a 5mm black piece of acrylic on top of a 3mm green piece.

I then installed it on top of the old aluminium front... As you can see, the old front needed a little trim.

I won't show you the cut I made in the aluminium, it's not a pretty sight, but it's hidden away so it doesn't really matter. A bit of mesh will be installed to gap the hole in the case- although the final mesh will probably be black. There is still a little bit of aluminium from the case sticking through underneath the mesh, I will need to trim that down.

This is a mock-up of where the PSU will be placed. Working in such a small case is a pain for routing cables, and a triple rad will be taking up the space where the PSU is meant to be mounted :evilgrin:

That's all for now folks

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 22-07-09, 12:51 PM
OC3D Crew

looking good, welcome back i guess:P
Old 22-07-09, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

will be intreasting to see how this goes

MSI Neo2-FR Intel P35, Inno3D Nvidia 8800GT 512MB

4Gb OCZ PC2-8500 C5@ 1066MHz, Samsung F1 750GB

Antec 900, TRUE w/Yateloon 38mm
Old 22-07-09, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quite like the idea of shifting the PSU down there so theres more room in the top for a rad! At the moment Ive crammed a double in the top of mine (Lian Li PC7... Pretty similar layout) and am planning on putting a single down the bottom soon... Your ideas not bad though

Will be keepin an eye on this one good luck
Old 22-07-09, 06:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Thanks for all the comments guys, it's good to be back, working on a pc once more

Hopefully have some more updates for you in the next few days

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon