Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Serious Discussion
View Poll Results: Is 6 too young?
Yes 11 26.19%
No 30 71.43%
Undecided 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-07-09, 12:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Is 6 too young to have your own PC?

It's the little'ns birthday next month and me & the mrs are trying to decide what to get her.

Mrs wants to get her one of those 'fake' laptop type things that only plays a certain number of educational games, whereas I have managed to spec up a basic AMD system on ebuyer for about £120.

If we go the PC route there will be no internet connection & only educational games installed.

Do you think 6 is too young for a child to have a PC at home? (she uses one attended at school).

Old 21-07-09, 12:15 PM
OC3D Crew

sort of depends how she best learns, am more of a hands on person so i stick with making and drawing stuff.
Old 21-07-09, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

I do think that a whole system would probably be too much to start with unless you have time to invest in creating something like a Stardock DesktopX desktop with appropriate links to programs, thus hiding any clutter or advanced functions.
Old 21-07-09, 12:44 PM

I actually thought about it and I think as long as you keep it simple and off the 'net for a few years I see no reason it couldn't be a valuable learning tool for her. Are you going to do some modding and make it child-proof/girl acceptable?
Old 21-07-09, 12:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to BloomerzUK
I personally think you should get her a PC..

Computer skills are 100% needed now anyway.. all schools practically use them on a day to day basis.. and it's crucial they get fimilar with them at a young age; IMHO ofcourse.
Old 21-07-09, 12:54 PM
The Guvnor

My sister is 8 and has had her own laptop for about 18months, once they have a PC they pick it up pretty fast. I regularly get emails and talk to my sis on msn.

Id say a cheap lappy would be a better idea as its all in one and can be safely put away.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 21-07-09, 12:58 PM
OC3D Elite

Get them using a pc as soon as they can move their fingers.

No unattended internet usage until ur 18 or until u leave home, whichever.

Old 21-07-09, 01:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='tinytomlogan'

Id say a cheap lappy would be a better idea as its all in one and can be safely put away.
Was thinking about a laptop, but even for a netbook you'd be looking at 2x what I can build a PC for and I don't think the resolution/gpu would be good enough for the kind of animated kiddy programs you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
I actually thought about it and I think as long as you keep it simple and off the 'net for a few years I see no reason it couldn't be a valuable learning tool for her. Are you going to do some modding and make it child-proof/girl acceptable?
Ooh yes, pink case, keyboard, mouse. Will 'pink-up' windows too

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='alexhull24'
I do think that a whole system would probably be too much to start with unless you have time to invest in creating something like a Stardock DesktopX desktop with appropriate links to programs, thus hiding any clutter or advanced functions.
Yeah thats a good idea. Will check that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'

No unattended internet usage until ur 18 or until u leave home, whichever.
Agreed. The only reason why i'd even consider putting a network card in it would be so that me and the missus can remote desktop on to it if she gets stuck and needs help (it will probably be in her room).
Old 21-07-09, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Agreed. The only reason why i'd even consider putting a network card in it would be so that me and the missus can remote desktop on to it if she gets stuck and needs help (it will probably be in her room).
Lol thats quite good. Remote desktop from the same house xD

I'm not sure. I had a pc when I was 7 or 8 and played alot of doom.

It was however NEVER in my own room. I think that is a good balance, means you can keep a "hands off" attitude but also keep an eye on what is happening.

I certainly think it is a must to have good computer skills before half way through primary school these days.
Old 21-07-09, 01:27 PM
OC3D Elite

I can answer his.

Six is a very good age but you must learn you self to restrict the pay time on it else they become addicted to it very quickly.

My kids have had there own pcs from 4 years upwards.

My son can now do repairs on his own at the age of 12 and all so knows how to do full installs and diagnose problems. the only problem i have is hes all so taken a interest in hacking.. but ill sort that out.

My daughters know how to use google for school work and all so fix problems and they are 8 and 9. All so Cbbc and BBC have learnt them loads. Its just brill. They play and there happy yet there learning all the time.

small cheap lap top is good but you better off with desk top to but a real cheap one. that way when they spill, brake , damage any thing it can be fixed cheaply. when there a little older then go down the laptop route. To add to that you can see when there on it and they cannot hide in thee bed room with it.