Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 15-07-09, 04:02 PM
OC3D Elite

OC3D Review: Asus ENGTX275 896MB PCIe Graphics Card

"The GTX285 is an expensive card and the GTX260 is being left behind in the performance stakes. Do Asus have an answer to this quandry with the ENGTX275?" - by W3bbo

Asus ENGTX275 896MB PCIe Graphics Card

Old 15-07-09, 04:10 PM
OC3D Elite

Funny what was said about the temps, but that was the first thing I thought about when I saw the pic.

Good review Webbo

Old 15-07-09, 05:08 PM
OC3D Elite

I never understand why ATI cards have reasonably varied thermal solutions, but NVIDIA suppliers stick stubbornly to the rather average stock one.

I'd be very interested to know if the twin-fan Gainward provides more usable temperatures.

I'd also love to see a SLI 275 report. Rumour has it that a good clocked 275 can equal a 285, so 285 SLI performance for £300 would be exemplary.

Great review as always W3bbo.
Old 15-07-09, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Bought one of these about a week and half ago now and Im impressed with its performance. Mine runs pretty hot too (around mid 80's) which is limiting my overclocking but reassured as my limit is similar to what webbo was stuck at with it stock (i start getting artifacts when my cores at 690Mhz). Will try sticking some new thermal paste on there... will eventually be watercooling it tho
Old 15-07-09, 07:29 PM
OC3D Crew

Surely it's a sign of the times, where the cards heat sink is possibly designed with half an eye on limiting the overclocking potential of the card, thus swaying users to spend that little extra on the next model up for guaranteed clock speeds.

Either that or it is some very lazy work from both ATI and Nvidia to stick with fairly rubbish/loud stock heat sinks and even lazier work from their partners not to design and fit something better.

Very good review, and to be fair to Asus it's at exactly the right price point, dodgy cooler or not.
Old 15-07-09, 11:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Great review, good card, bad cooler for even the timid enthusiast.

nVidia would be well charged to put a fair bit of rnd into a better cooling solution when they release GT300.

Even since the 8800GT, the cards have been decent enough in their various guises, but very let down imo by the performance of the coolers. (even tho I personally like the look of them as a full-on black shroud) - and the sound levels are horrendous.

Another great write-up w3bbo.

I prefer these cards as a supposed mid-range+ purchase for people, throw in PhysX and Cuda.

I wonder if it's worth doing quality comparisons for cards these days as opposed to fps. Something along the lines of setting an fps level - if the card passes it it's 'passes', then add to that how many quality processing levels u can goto whilst still staying over an fps level. e.g. if ur card does 100+ fps in COD4, another card doing 110+ fps doesn't mean anything, but being able to stay there with 16aa++ (or whatever).

Wonder if the days of fps are coming to an end, unless Dx11's coding brings it back into the picture.

Quality over performance differences u'll never notice ?

Old 28-12-09, 11:02 AM

it is the best card i guess.