Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 03-07-09, 04:03 PM

Really Really Really need some help.

Hi everyone im new hear and i really need some advise on a mATX build i plan to make, but im having a very hard time trying to find a mATX motherboard to finish it, im hoping someone hear can put me in the right direction.

The parts im hoping to use for the rig are.

THERMALTAKE CASE LANBOX VF1000SWA

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Sapphire HD 4870 Vapor-X 1Gb GDDR5

OCZ ModXstream Pro 600W Modular PSU

Kingston HYPERX 4GB (2X2G DDR-1066M N

Scythe Shuriken Quiet Low Profile CPU Cooler

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 160GB SATA 3Gb/s

Ok now hear is the problem, i have come across a few motherboards that would be ideal for this build, but again im let down due to compatabilty reasons, the boards are " ASUS P5Q-EM " " Gigabyte GA-EG45M-DS2H " and

" DFI GF9400-T2RS "

The Asus board would be PERFECT. but ive read alot of customer reviews and from the looks of things the board itself has alot of compatabiltiy issues with Ram - memory, so ive had to look at other boards.

The Gigabyte board would be perfect also but it dosnt support the graphics card i plan to put in.

Ive been searching the internet for about a week now trying to find a motherboard that will be ideal for my build, but its turning out to be more difficult than i thought, im hoping someone hear can help me to find a decent MB, does anyone hear know of a motherbaord that i havent mentioned hear that would be ideal , also i am prepared to change the CPU to AMD if need be.

Thanks

Old 03-07-09, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Hi there,

If I may say so, it'd most certainly be worth your while to spend a little more for a nicer case such as

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...source=froogle

I used one of these for a Q9550/P45 Jr mATX build last week and it's most certainly one of the nicest cases I've ever used from a build quality perspective as well as ease of build.

Most LGA775 mATX G45 or nVidia based boards are quite good but with the exception of the DFI LanParty P45 Jr or 9400 Jr, none of them overclock particularly well. Not sure if this is an issue for you, but I thought I'd mention that just in case.

If overclocking is an interest

DFI LanParty P45 Jr

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150911

otherwise perhaps these might be an option

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/164476

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/149277

The AMD route has a good choice of motherboards as well and personally I feel that better CPU's can be had for similar money by going AM2+/AM3. The main reason to take the AMD route is that we'll continue to see new CPU releases on it for quite a while to come, while LGA775 is due to be discontinued once i5 arrives, although this will be a slow process.

Perhaps this CPU

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155714

with

DFI 790GX Jr if overclocking is an interest

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160867

else

Asus M4A78-VM

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168321

Hope that helps
Old 03-07-09, 04:58 PM

thank you for the quick reply, i was planning on overclocking the 8400 to 3.6gh..so yeh overclocking will be an issue, the main problem im having with mATX boards is that i cant seem to find one that will be compatible with the Ati 4870 graphics card, i do like the look of the DFI boards do you know if they support the 4870,
Old 03-07-09, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Paul Best'
thank you for the quick reply, i was planning on overclocking the 8400 to 3.6gh..so yeh overclocking will be an issue, the main problem im having with mATX boards is that i cant seem to find one that will be compatible with the Ati 4870 graphics card, i do like the look of the DFI boards do you know if they support the 4870,
Yep the dfi does support the 4870, you can even use crossfire with it
Old 03-07-09, 06:20 PM

NICE : D just what i was looking for...guess that meens i have to change the CPU now.
Old 03-07-09, 06:21 PM
OC3D Elite

the DFI P45 supports crossfire at 8x on both slots
Old 03-07-09, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Paul Best'
NICE : D just what i was looking for...guess that meens i have to change the CPU now.
You can use the E8400 with the LanParty P45 Jr T2RS mentioned, or alternatively you can buy the LanParty 790GX Jr motherboard with a Phenom II X4 940 Quad Core. I'd get the Phenom personally. Any thoughts on the case that I mentioned?
Old 03-07-09, 09:30 PM

i suggest a x38 or x48 mb as they support dual x16 pci-e lanes, theres a couple matx mb on those chipsets and outperform the p45's

Asus Rampage Formula X48

OCZ Reaper X HPC 1066MHZ

ATI 3870X2

1TB SAMSUNG F1

500GB SEAGATE BARACUDA

SILVERSTONE OLYMPIA 1000WATT PSU

Samsung SyncMaster 2233

Gigabyte 3D Aurora soon to be Lian Li V2100 with full wc setup
Old 03-07-09, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mul.'
You can use the E8400 with the LanParty P45 Jr T2RS mentioned, or alternatively you can buy the LanParty 790GX Jr motherboard with a Phenom II X4 940 Quad Core. I'd get the Phenom personally. Any thoughts on the case that I mentioned?
Thx Mul, yeh i did take a look at the case you linked me...but i was looking for a case that had a handle and was easy to transport around, so i picked the LanBox, i have a small question for you if thats ok, i am going to buy the DFI Jr Motherboard, but im comfused on Ram..bare with me a second.

On the DFi website it shows what Ram is compatible with the MB (with serial no's ), now ive checked a few retailers and i cant seem to find the memory that corresponds to the serial numbers given on the DFI site, does it really matter if i go for the same Ram but with a differnt serial number, also ive checked and it seems the MB dosnt support 4gig sticks of Ram, so am i right by saying its best to buy 2gig sticks instead of the 4.

Thanks
Old 03-07-09, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='theelusiveyoda'
i suggest a x38 or x48 mb as they support dual x16 pci-e lanes, theres a couple matx mb on those chipsets and outperform the p45's
hey theelusiveyoda, is it possible you can link me to those MB's, i would like to check them out.