Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Air Cooling

Old 21-06-09, 02:58 PM

I7 920 - 55C Idle?

Just bought an i7, using an akasa cooler with the cpu at stock settings. Sitting in bios (no OS installed yet) the cpu is creeping past 55C. I had to apply thermal paste for the first time ever, could I have not done it well enough? I used my fingers to apply it (later found out I'm not supposed to do this). It seemed reasonably even, and I did lose a bit applying it so it isn't horribly thick as far as I can tell. I have never liked intel coolers, I hate the push twist thing (one of the feet I can't twist the entire way without it popping out again). Anyway, I could use a little help on this matter.

Thanks,

Ghaz.

Old 21-06-09, 03:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Well, for starters you need to sort it out so that all pins are pushed and securely in place. With thermal paste you want a good amount - it is quite hard to judge since too little can lead to high temps and so can too much.

I usually draw a cross on the chip and then seat the heatsink/water block allowing the pressure to spread the paste.

I would recommend you clean the chip and start again. Be really patient with the push pins too.
Old 21-06-09, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Toxcity'
Well, for starters you need to sort it out so that all pins are pushed and securely in place. With thermal paste you want a good amount - it is quite hard to judge since too little can lead to high temps and so can too much.

I usually draw a cross on the chip and then seat the heatsink/water block allowing the pressure to spread the paste.

I would recommend you clean the chip and start again. Be really patient with the push pins too.
I took the HS off and it looked like the pressure had forced all of the paste out. I smoothed it out an am about to try again. Trouble is is that I only got 1 sache of paste, so I would have to go out and get some from the shop. D:<
Old 22-06-09, 11:15 AM

Found out I was too tired. Managed to leave a plastic protective layer on the bottom of the heat sink > < I feel really stupid now.

Thanks for your help.