Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 26-05-09, 12:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Regarding virus checkers.

I've not thought about it much b4 today, but if u got a checker on the Mac, does it only check Mac related ones ? Similarly Windows for windows stuff etc.

Or do they all pool together ? Or what ?

Old 26-05-09, 12:19 PM
OC3D Crew

I would have thought that its just a pool - easier to upfate???
Old 26-05-09, 12:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Interesting question considering that if Mac clients did have all Windows defs, then there would be a considerable amount of unnecessary bloat both in the application size and downloaded updates.

I would _hope_ they've kept the Mac client/defs separate and have a dedicated 'Mac virus' team.
Old 26-05-09, 12:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Oh and replacing Mac with whatever Linux box or whatever OS.

Would the Linux think "eff it it's for windows stuff" - or be smart thinking that, well if it contains a mailing thing, it'll effect every1 with mail.

Old 26-05-09, 12:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
Oh and replacing Mac with whatever Linux box or whatever OS.

Would the Linux think "eff it it's for windows stuff" - or be smart thinking that, well if it contains a mailing thing, it'll effect every1 with mail.
Yeah, It probably entirely depends on if the AV is for 'desktop' or 'server' use. For example the OC3D Community Mail Service is based on Linux and uses ClamAV for scanning incoming attachments. It wouldnt be much use if it only filtered out Linux viruses, leaving windows users to get infected.
Old 26-05-09, 12:48 PM
OC3D Elite

On the desktop side of things they could perhaps be more interested in protecting the user and not necessarily what the user passes on unknowingly. Thing being desktop side, is that the db must be beyond huge for all OSes. And during a computer scan u would in theory check files against the whole db. In theory ofc, that's not how it works.

ClamAV sounds like the one I stuck on Leopard. Can't remember cos I installed it and forgot about it. Sounds like, probably not tho.

Old 26-05-09, 12:56 PM
OC3D Elite

A good few years ago I used to have a zip file with about 2,000 viruses in there that had attached themselves to various EXE's, DOC's...etc. Not the kind of thing to have if you dont know how to handle it, but it made a great file to have when selecting my future virus scanner.

Was really surprising how many of the AV programs missed out on up to 100 of the blighters. Was also interesting to see how quickly the AV picked up on the contents of the zip. Some would read inside the zip by default, some would wait till I uncompressed it, and others would wait until the individual exe's were single clicked on before realising what they were.

Anyway, slightly O/T - but would be nice to run some tests on a Mac/Linux scanner.
Old 26-05-09, 01:11 PM
OC3D Elite

Indeed, I mean these days the checkers, atleast from the windows based ones I've experienced, tend to check "the possibility that something is a virus" by comparing a trait with what a file looks like, often from signitures of tell-tale signs. This ofc has good and bad points. Bad points can include the scanners automatically removing files that are simply not a problem, but by their nature hold something close to a signiture.

Many moons ago, it was the case where viruses in their entirity where part of the db that scanners/checkers used. In these cases also there would be a %age check as to whether variants were the infections. Would also be the case that in order to apply fixes for various viruses that u could actually apply the viruses themselves. This could be helpful for testing, but ofc also leathal in the wrong hands. With the internet world, those hands are everywhere.

What would bother me perhaps is that with the fashion of checking for viruses being more and more concentrated on immediate threats from new variants, that older ones are perhaps overlooked in some way. A 10 year old usb drive gets plugged in by a firm and all hell breaks loose.

It'd be interesting to check on all platforms certainly.