Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 23-05-09, 11:35 AM
OC3D Elite

Temperature sensors on Linux

Ever wanted to get your temperatures and readings on Linux? Well heres a quick guide using Ubuntu.

Great if your watercooling and need to keep an eye on your system.

There are other ways, but first go to System, Administration, Synaptic package manager (password entry)

then Search for sensors

Mark lm-sensors and sensors-applet, plus their dependencies ( usually selected automatically ) then Apply.

Then use Applications goto Terminal and type "sudo sensors-detect" to find them and keep responding yes to the latter before a Restart to fully activate them.

If you then right-click on "Task Bar" and 'Add to Panel' you should find 'Hardware Sensors Monitor' to Add, which you can Move and Lock to Panel in the usual way, whilst right-click 'Preferences' offers specific customization.

This was done quickly on my laptop and only configured for my HDD at the moment.

Hope you find this little snippet of some help and use.

Like SpeedFan and all other monitoring programs, the only problem is then figuring out which alarm is which for your Mainboard and what to select for continual Panel display.

Biostar Tpower I55, I5 750 @ 4.2Ghz, 4GB Kingston DDR3, Custom water loop - Thermochill PA120.3, Heatkiller 3.0 LC, Laing DDC Ultra, XSPC res top, XSPC white hose, Asus 5870, Antec Quattro 1000, Lian Li PC-X2000, Win7 ultimate.

Old 23-05-09, 12:57 PM
OC3D Elite

Great stuff. If u (or any1) have things like this, it'll certainly go down well.

Anything really that makes Linux less scary to people perhaps

(a section would be nice)

Old 23-05-09, 01:16 PM
OC3D Elite

a good program to use for monitoring your temps after you have setup lm sensors is x-sensors

Old 23-05-09, 01:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Nice one mate, this is what we want.. a pooling of knowledge

Lets get some guides up .. see if theres enough for a sub section in the OS sub forum.

Im relatively new to Ubuntu, only really use it for getting passwords for numptys that have locked themselves out of XP etc.

( cant really post that guide though )

I must say ubuntu is my favourite one, almost out of the box setup.

More please
Biostar Tpower I55, I5 750 @ 4.2Ghz, 4GB Kingston DDR3, Custom water loop - Thermochill PA120.3, Heatkiller 3.0 LC, Laing DDC Ultra, XSPC res top, XSPC white hose, Asus 5870, Antec Quattro 1000, Lian Li PC-X2000, Win7 ultimate.

Old 23-05-09, 01:43 PM
OC3D Elite

As far as a section goes, and thinking about the "scared" factor, it would be good for a really brief OS install feature to sticky at the top or something.

Now I know what ur immediately thinking - there's no need - BUT I think this is what frightens people the most. Mention Linux to most people and they immediately clam up thinking of loads of text based hard work ahead.

To push that aside, I had an occasion to use ubuntu in work for something using a stock dc7600 HP and tbh I just stuck the disc in, answered some really automated things, and it worked all by itself. Ok there are things to do after that if ur looking to use the pc for ur home system on a more permanent basis - but hey, stuck it in, and away we went.

I was thinking start with a basic install guide, pre-install things, then a look at some post-install stuff.