Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 20-05-09, 07:11 AM
OC3D Elite

OC3D Review: OCZ Throttle 32GB eSATA Flash Drive

"Looking for something with a little more grunt than your existing USB flash drive? The eSATA based OCZ Throttle may be just what you've been searching for."

OCZ Throttle 32GB eSATA Flash Drive

Old 20-05-09, 09:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Wow that was a good read.

Have been looking for an eSATA storage device for a while, but I don't think I'm going to buy it. It's as expensive as a 320gb 2.5" hdd and, while it has more performance, it has way less capacity. Also, I think the additional cable is quite a pain to carry around and usb 3.0 isn't helping either.

Old 20-05-09, 11:18 AM
OC3D Elite

Nice review mate.. Impressive stuff on the speeds.

Only thing I could think of throughout though was what's the point in it really with USB 3 (like you mentioned) on the way.

Was about to question your maths on the but then had a lil look around and realised it's correct.

Quote:
eSATA provides a whopping throughput of 3000Mbps (300MB/s),
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 20-05-09, 11:25 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Bungral'
Nice review mate.. Impressive stuff on the speeds.

Only thing I could think of throughout though was what's the point in it really with USB 3 (like you mentioned) on the way.

Was about to question your maths on the but then had a lil look around and realised it's correct.
Yeah I had to double check that myself too!

Another pretty cool thing about the drive which I neglected to mention in the review is that I'm pretty sure you can install Windows directly on to it (as its detected as a hard disk). I'm going to have a shot at installing Windows 7 on it tonight, and then maybe also try booting from USB too

Win7 on a stick could be pretty cool tbh
Old 20-05-09, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

I would have quite promptly bought myself one of these if my little netbook had an e-SATA port. Excellent figures and respectable dimensions too. OCZ have clearly done a very good job with this Flash Drive

Excellent review Jim.
Old 20-05-09, 12:55 PM
OC3D Elite

I installed Win 7 from a USB stick onto my NC20 as I don't have an external drive.

Was a right pain in the arse getting the thing bootable!!

So you're saying that with this you shouldn't have that trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Yeah I had to double check that myself too!

Another pretty cool thing about the drive which I neglected to mention in the review is that I'm pretty sure you can install Windows directly on to it (as its detected as a hard disk). I'm going to have a shot at installing Windows 7 on it tonight, and then maybe also try booting from USB too

Win7 on a stick could be pretty cool tbh
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 20-05-09, 01:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I installed Win 7 from a USB stick onto my NC20 as I don't have an external drive.

Your problem there is that usb sticks can be identified as 1 of 2 things, either a USB hard drive or USB pen drive. (it's actually a flag of sorts that is set in stick itself)

Old 20-05-09, 01:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

I was actually meaning running Win7 from the flash drive with no other hard disks in the system

But ye you could also use it to install Win7 I guess. From what I can see it's detected as a hard disk, so it should be possible.
Old 20-05-09, 04:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
Your problem there is that usb sticks can be identified as 1 of 2 things, either a USB hard drive or USB pen drive. (it's actually a flag of sorts that is set in stick itself)
Yeah got that much from when I was making it bootable. Tis funny, most of mine are quite limited but one of the cheaper ones I have so far has let me use it as a USB hard drive.

Quote:
I was actually meaning running Win7 from the flash drive with no other hard disks in the system

But ye you could also use it to install Win7 I guess. From what I can see it's detected as a hard disk, so it should be possible.
Gotcha... Was a bit slow earlier and rushing because people looking over my shoulder.
Old 20-05-09, 06:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

that would be useful if the system is out of case..

Stop making me jealous Jim :P

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon