Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Serious Discussion

Old 19-05-09, 03:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Internet becoming a sour place to be.

Internet becoming a sour place to be ..

I have noticed over the last few years on many forums the internet is becoming a very horrible place to ask simple noob questions. (haven't noticed it on here yet!)

I frequent many forums in my venture to build my modded systems and help as many people as i can along the way if i have had the same problem in the past.

What i am how ever seeing is the abundance of the so called Guru's and Old Hats on some of these forums having a lash out out at some of the questions being asked because the Noob did not know how to put the question or how to explain properly there question. The attitudes of these so called experienced users is just pure and far out right wrong and when some one comes in to the fray like my self trying to help said noob's they then receive the back lash as well.

The problem is it seems to happen on the larger Forums with many users and yet because the person giving the abuse is so called respected nothing is said ....

Any one else notice this or am i just being a sour puss in my old age and used to the old day's.

Please how ever no names or places to be named and shammed just comments on what im perceiving as the modern day internet.

Old 19-05-09, 03:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Yep a few forums spring to mind (no names mentioned). I think the mods/admins get it in to their heads that they are 'better' than the next man simply because they have a different status/logo/colour above their avatar.

We try to keep our feet firmly on the floor here. We are all humans after all and should treat each other with respect regardless of background, knowledge, religion, location....anything for that matter.

The whole reason why Overclock3D was founded (as SysXtreme) back in the day was due to the way I was treated on one of 'these' forums, so I hope we never get like it.
Old 19-05-09, 03:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Precisely why I joined up here. :P
Old 19-05-09, 03:38 PM
OC3D Crew

The only forums I actively participate in are full of nice friendly people. I have no time for snobby elitism.

It's a standard psychological process that those within a group will see any newcomer or outsider as being less special than those currently within said group. Also, if the majority of the members have a personality trait and similar ideals; participation in discussions and arguments with each other will only make that trait stronger; i.e. they will all become more elitist.

I think there has always been a problem with this and I would agree that it’s hard to find a forum that doesn’t have some problem. Thankfully it’s not impossible, I participate actively on maybe 9 forums and only one has this sort of attitude. The only reason I stay there is because it’s in a very small niche and that is the only active forum that deals with it.
Old 19-05-09, 03:38 PM
OC3D Elite

yeh well i joined here for the same reason after spending about 8 weeks just reading the forums. i eventually joined.
Old 19-05-09, 03:46 PM
OC3D Elite

I agree with what Pseudonym said.

That is what I currently think bout new users too but I never really take it out on them.

Guessing it's natural?
Old 19-05-09, 03:46 PM
OC3D Crew

I visit a heck of a lot of forums but rarely post for many of the reasons above.

I have just had enough of peoples attitudes these days, I have it all day at work so I no longer feel the need to subject myself to more after hours....

I think a lot of it lies with people not thinking before they post, posting drunk or the ever present elitism.

Everyone, these days, is an expert and their views or opinions are correct and no one elses matter.......

I really cba with it anymore so avoid.....
Old 19-05-09, 03:51 PM

Back when I joined here I had a bundle of questions to ask, everyone treated me nicely. I must say that you are right to say that the internet in general is gradually getting worse. Although I do think it could be caused by younger and younger people having access to the net?. I am not saying that all younger people are not mature but unfortunately it does tend to be the case.
Old 19-05-09, 03:52 PM
OC3D Elite

You can get tired of answering the same questions over and over again, peoples inability to use the search function on a forum or even goolge can be quite asstounding.

Thats no excuse, however, to be rude to said noob. You just politly point them in the right direction and if you can't stomach that, just don't post!

We make sure that people with the wrong attitude to our members are either quickly beaten into shape or plain banned .
Old 19-05-09, 03:59 PM
OC3D Crew

I agree in some instances with the age of posters...but in the other direction...

I used to use a lot of car forums and they are the worst....and they're supposed to be adults!!!!