Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 13-05-09, 10:35 AM
OC3D Crew

EU slaps a record fine on Intel

Earlier in the week we told you how Intel were on the verge of receiving a huge fine from the European commision.

Continue Reading

Old 13-05-09, 01:51 PM
OC3D Crew

get raped intel
Old 13-05-09, 02:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Ouch thats gotta sting a bit
Old 13-05-09, 02:21 PM
OC3D Crew

They can afford it this time around, but I reckon they will be a little more careful in future. Obviously Intel are appealing against the ruling, but I don't think they have much ground to stand on..
Old 13-05-09, 04:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='AntiHeroUK'
They can afford it this time around, but I reckon they will be a little more careful in future. Obviously Intel are appealing against the ruling, but I don't think they have much ground to stand on..
it will certainly open the floodgates for companies claiming damagies!

Old 13-05-09, 05:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Oooph thats a pretty epic fine. Most of that should really go in damages to AMD though....

Old 13-05-09, 05:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='llwyd'
Oooph thats a pretty epic fine. Most of that should really go in damages to AMD though....
With that amount of dollar in their bank account I bet AMD could turn out something to flatten the i7 almost overnight.
Old 13-05-09, 05:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
With that amount of dollar in their bank account I bet AMD could turn out something to flatten the i7 almost overnight.
What he said.

Shame that AMD isn't getting any.
Old 13-05-09, 07:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='llwyd'
AMD arnt the only other chip maker though.

I've always thought... "Bigger they are, the more corrupt they are"

Old 13-05-09, 08:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote from Intel today

EC Ruling: Statement by Intel President and CEO Paul Otellini

SANTA CLARA, Calif., May 13, 2009 – Paul Otellini, Intel Corporation president and CEO today issued the following statement regarding the European Commission decision on Intel's business practices:

"Intel takes strong exception to this decision. We believe the decision is wrong and ignores the reality of a highly competitive microprocessor marketplace – characterized by constant innovation, improved product performance and lower prices. There has been absolutely zero harm to consumers. Intel will appeal."

"We do not believe our practices violated European law. The natural result of a competitive market with only two major suppliers is that when one company wins sales, the other does not. The Directorate General for Competition of the Commission ignored or refused to obtain significant evidence that contradicts the assertions in this decision. We believe this evidence shows that when companies perform well the market rewards them, when they don't perform the market acts accordingly."

"Intel never sells products below cost. We have however, consistently invested in innovation, in manufacturing and in developing leadership technology. The result is that we can discount our products to compete in a highly competitive marketplace, passing along to consumers everywhere the efficiencies of being the world's leading volume manufacturer of microprocessors."

"Despite our strongly held views, as we go through the appeals process we plan to work with the Commission to ensure we're in compliance with their decision. Finally, there should be no doubt whatsoever that Intel will continue to invest in the products and technologies that provide Europe and the rest of the world the industry's best performing processors at lower prices."

Take from that what you will.

Heres Intels 1st quarter break down .. if you have time read it.

Oh and by the way those small figures are in Millions btw!

http://www.intc.com/common/download/...09%20Final.pdf
Biostar Tpower I55, I5 750 @ 4.2Ghz, 4GB Kingston DDR3, Custom water loop - Thermochill PA120.3, Heatkiller 3.0 LC, Laing DDC Ultra, XSPC res top, XSPC white hose, Asus 5870, Antec Quattro 1000, Lian Li PC-X2000, Win7 ultimate.