Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 28-04-09, 07:06 PM
OC3D Crew

Send a message via Yahoo to gaurang
UK to Monitor All Communications

Communication service provides will now be keeping track of all internet contacts between people.

Read on

Old 28-04-09, 07:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Violation of the civil rights of every British citizen :/ UN and NATO, where are you now?

Old 28-04-09, 07:52 PM
OC3D Elite

This is a load of crap. Those who need to speak to each other for any kind of immoral reasons can use something like 128 bit encryption with their own shared keys.

These sorts of things take the people at Sony months to breakdown.

How do u break that down, know to be following it back'n'fore between the users and think they'll use the same key everytime.

This is just allowing them to know ur trends.

U will get the growth of encrypted ircs and the like. U can already use keys for emails.

Old 28-04-09, 07:57 PM
OC3D Elite

Ah this is becoming ridiculous.

Soon we will be in a world that mirror's George Orwell's fictional world.
Old 28-04-09, 08:32 PM
OC3D Elite

From what I read of that article, I don't think they are actually going to be logging the actual contents of any conversations or visits to websites, merely the fact that you visited X website or went on X chatroom at a certain time during the day. In which case encryption is going to help you in most scenario's.

The way i see it, its no more of a privacy breach than BT keeping logs of what numbers you've dialed.
Old 29-04-09, 05:50 AM
OC3D Elite

"monitoring of telephone conversations and interception of other communications currently being used by security agencies"

That's more than just logging when they took place. And thinking about it, my IRC is already SSL 128 encrypted, so they won't get that ^^

Old 29-04-09, 07:01 AM
OC3D Crew

All this crap about the privacy laws gets me mad. So what if our security forces had no means with which to monitor criminals and terrorists? Would you all be happy that these scumbags had carte blanche to communicate freely, without having to worry about tripping themselves up? How much easier would it be for these scumbags to do what they do?

We need laws in place that make life harder for the terrorists and criminals, and if that means that we need a way to be able to trace electronic comms then so be it. It may not provide a guaranteed way to secure convictions, but as proven in the past, some dumb ****s do get caught out by electronic comms monitoring. It's another vital tool in our security forces arsenal.

As for electronic encryption, do you honestly think that our security forces would allow a means to encrypt data anywhere near the open market without having some way to defeat the encryption? Hardly likely I reckon! Also, it's worth thinking about where all the latest tech comes from and is bankrolled by. The tech that the military and security forces have is normally a generation ahead of what the consumer can get their hands on, and I can see no reason why encryption tech would be any different.

And at the end of the day, you all do have the option NOT to use the services which would be logged if you feel your privacy is being invaded, try pen and paper, or maybe the phone. Oh wait those calls you make are logged too
Old 29-04-09, 07:25 AM
OC3D Elite

I'm a little bit annoyed about this invasion of privacy, but I can see why they would want to do it. I'm afraid though that everything that is important will just be done with 128 bit+ encryption, and they can take ages to crack.

Also, if I've had a few nights researching bioterrorism, terrorism, and building your own explosives and bombs, I really don't want to be woken in the middle of the night by some armed police.

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 29-04-09, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to f0x.
Yet another way for the government to make money, you honestly dont think if this gets passed they wont sell the information? it would certainly make up for the 15billion missing from this years budget

CPU: Q9550 @ 3.6ghz RAM: 4gb GSKILL DDR3 BFG GTX 295

PSU: Inwin Commando 1500w SND: Creative X-FI 2

HDD: 120gb OCZ Vertex SSD with 1TB WD (Storage)

Cooling: Custom CPU Loop with XSPC Edge V1 Block
Old 29-04-09, 01:58 PM
OC3D Crew

@StuartPB: I see what you're saying about how it's hard to catch terrorists and anything else they can do to help secure convictions being a good thing, but, why bother.

THIS link shows some statistics about what I mean. "Terrorism" is one of the smallest threats to our life, yet we are spending an extra £728,000,000 on defeating it this year, with a total of 3.5 billion by 2011 (Source).

Also, the UK has a way of breaking your encryption, it's called a court order. You either give them the password or they leave you to rot in jail. They probably could also just break into your house and set up a worm on your computer.