Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Rants

Old 24-04-09, 02:38 PM
OC3D Crew

Friends

OK so I work in the IT industry so I expect the usual "ohh you know about computers can you have a look at mine" when I'm in the Pub (which is often replied to with a swift punch in the face).....

but last night I get a call from a friend 300 miles away.....they've just clicked on a random link on facebook and downloaded a virus *sigh* and here's a second one for my mate being so dumb *sigh* and thrice *sigh*

Why? just why do these people have to click on random links????

This happens to be my best mate, who was my best man at my wedding and his wife, who happened to be bridesmade at my wedding...they've not been on the net long but when I set it alll up for them I told them 'don't click on random links etc...'

Why? just why don't people listen, it's fairly obvious when you log in to facebook that if a flashing link says "2 of your friends in Milton Keynes have a crush on you, click here to find out who" and you don't know anyone in Milton Keynes that it's in all possibility spam that may contain harmful stuff...so therefore the sensible sid eof me works that out and I don't click on the links, thus removing me from any potentioal harful material that may want to download itself.....isn't this obvious????

Sorry for this I know theres no point to my rant and no conclusion other than the fact that a courier is en route with said PC to me to be fixed...but are people really that dumb, have I not chosen my friends wisely????

And to top it all when trying to order a new switch card today because mines started to split, Natwest firmly advise me that my password details are incorrect and my online banking has to be reset and they've sent me new log in details, this would be the password I've been using for the past 18 months with no problem at all and the same one I used not minutes before the phone call to log in to their damn site to find their number to order a new switch card?????????

Man I need a drink

Old 24-04-09, 04:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='AydST'
OK so I work in the IT industry so I expect the usual "ohh you know about computers can you have a look at mine" when I'm in the Pub (which is often replied to with a swift punch in the face).....

but last night I get a call from a friend 300 miles away.....they've just clicked on a random link on facebook and downloaded a virus *sigh* and here's a second one for my mate being so dumb *sigh* and thrice *sigh*

Why? just why do these people have to click on random links????

This happens to be my best mate, who was my best man at my wedding and his wife, who happened to be bridesmade at my wedding...they've not been on the net long but when I set it alll up for them I told them 'don't click on random links etc...'

Why? just why don't people listen, it's fairly obvious when you log in to facebook that if a flashing link says "2 of your friends in Milton Keynes have a crush on you, click here to find out who" and you don't know anyone in Milton Keynes that it's in all possibility spam that may contain harmful stuff...so therefore the sensible sid eof me works that out and I don't click on the links, thus removing me from any potentioal harful material that may want to download itself.....isn't this obvious????

Sorry for this I know theres no point to my rant and no conclusion other than the fact that a courier is en route with said PC to me to be fixed...but are people really that dumb, have I not chosen my friends wisely????

And to top it all when trying to order a new switch card today because mines started to split, Natwest firmly advise me that my password details are incorrect and my online banking has to be reset and they've sent me new log in details, this would be the password I've been using for the past 18 months with no problem at all and the same one I used not minutes before the phone call to log in to their damn site to find their number to order a new switch card?????????

Man I need a drink
Well, your in luck, its a friday. You can go down the pub for a nice.....o wait......

Old 24-04-09, 10:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Luckily most of my friends and family think im just ' a bit into computers' and think theyre better off using their 'IT guy'. You know the type that 'have to take it away' to add some ram and give it back with norton installed for an extra 30 quid

Old 25-04-09, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Consider yourself really lucky llwyd.

I'm always getting relatives (and lately friends of my mum!!) ringing up with computer problems.

I'm getting to the point where I dont want to help out anymore, cause most of the time it's simple stuff

(one of them was trying to log into sky email with their hotmail account )

Dan
Old 25-04-09, 04:17 PM
OC3D Elite

surely u get paid tho?

im always having family and their friends and now friend of their friends providing me with business

got £55 yesterday for upgrading and configuring a machine
Old 06-07-09, 02:10 PM

Ive started charging about £20 for a basic computer diagnostics and a reformat. considering charging about £50 for building a new machine for someone. People start taking the **** if you do it for free
Old 06-07-09, 02:28 PM
OC3D Elite

im with you all on this, in the past month i must of gone through 9 family pc's with just a simple virus on it or that boot file is missing from windows, telling them what too do down the phone just makes it worst lol , im starting to get fed up because nearlly all my family is around 10 miles at the least away from me and im a student with no car and on little money! and they dont offer me a lift! cheeky gits, and they expect a £5 will cover the travel and repairs

Laptop
[i7-4710MQ | 16GB | 500GB SEVO | GTX 860M]
Old 06-07-09, 02:32 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm leaning towards calling myself some1 who works in IT rather than an IT person. I know a good 30 or so IT people here, qualified to the hilt in most cases, and about 2 ~possibly~ 3 of them I'd let look at a computer with a problem that was mine. Networking and corporate structures/environments, probably 10/15 of em. I have tbh the rest milk off the others.

There needs to be a differentiation between an IT person and a computer person.

On the OP's issue, it's just the same as if ur a mechanic, plumber, chippy, sparky - every1 seems to think u can either fix something or have all the time in the world to fix something. Or u don't hear from them 99% of the year.

... and there's always some1.

I'd love just a month to go by where no-body had an issue. It doesn't help being helpful and handy either.

Probably be personally worth buying them all Macs.

Old 06-07-09, 04:42 PM
OC3D Elite

I have some family that pay me to do work, who I really don't mind doing work for. It's the family members that just expect you to do it for free, and ask for help allll the time. They then pass on problems of other peoples, saying "I know someone that can help you do that no problem"..

THanks..

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon