500GB Samsung HDD

CM690 + CM 520W

And I installed the following:

Swiftech Apogee GTZ

EK FC-88

DDC Ultra with EK Derlin top

XSPC R120-S

Black Ice GTS 240

Ran a leak test all day yesterday, had two minor leaks but all sorted now. Put all the components in the case and booted up fine. This is where the problems start! The Apogee GTZ is getting really hot - even heating up the tubing! I've made sure the CPU block is securely fixed onto the motherboard but I'm still experiencing overheating. Also I've reapplied the thermal paste correctly. Could it be there is too much air in the loop? The res is full, so I'm not sure what's going on- as I said, ran the leak test all day yesterday and apart from the two leaks it all went fine.

So any suggestions? Thank in advance!

Old 04-04-09, 02:35 PM
OC3D Elite

What fans are on the rad?

Are you sure that there's no bubbles in said rad?

is your loop flowing the correct way through the block? (Assuming it's orientated)
Old 04-04-09, 02:40 PM
OC3D Crew

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have Yate Loon fans on both rads.

I'm not sure if there are any bubbles in the rad... is there a way I can check?

As for the loop, I'm certain it's all connected up correctly.
Old 04-04-09, 02:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Giving the whole case a good shake normally gets rid of bubbles in rads. Depending on their mounts it might be worth rolling the case 90° too, but that can lead to problems with the rez...
Old 04-04-09, 03:01 PM
OC3D Crew

Well I just gave it a shake now.

I turned the PC on, then gave a shake and monitored the Temps in the BIOS. Startedout 70C, then began to rise. I powered down when I saw it reaching 90C and I could feel the block getting warm. I had a feel at the tubes as well. From the res -> pump -> double rad I could feel vibrations through them. From the double rad -> CPU -> single rad -> GPU I didn't feel any at all.

Is it just a case of the components circulating the water and getting rid of the air which could be cause the problem? Should I perhaps do another leak test?
Old 04-04-09, 03:27 PM
OC3D Crew

Is the pump working?
Old 04-04-09, 03:31 PM
OC3D Elite

That's what I was going to suggest. I've got a similar setup here (bay res and tfc rad instead) and I'm idling in the high twenties.

Are the fans doing something stupid like running at low rpm?

Is the pump working at a decent rpm? Is the pump getting the right voltage? Is there anything that could be blocking the pipes (e.g. stray ptfe tape)

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 04-04-09, 03:49 PM
The Guvnor

The xspc rad is ok but the BI isnt all that and needs the fans on tornado mode, that said your temps are well high.

Check to make sure you have mounted the block righ, not too much TIM and tightened down

Move the case about to get are out of the rads, air is a big problem in a WC loop.

Then if all else fails make sure the flow goes out of the front of the pump, to rad, then waterblocks, then res, then back in the top of the pump.

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 04-04-09, 04:10 PM
OC3D Crew

Hmm, it's very strange.

I tried booting up again, this time loosening the block slightly and I'm still getting the same problem. Also, I have all my fans set to high (using fan controller) and I'm certain the pump is working.

Nothing is interfering with the tubes, so again I'm assuming there's just a lot of air trapted in the BI rad.

Apart from hooking the loop as you've suggested tinytomlogan, is it possible the BI just isn't enouh for the Quad core I have? I don't mind upgrading it to another XSPC, but I'm not sure if it will fit at the top of my case (where you can install two 120mm fans inbetween the top of the chassis and the motherboard).
Old 04-04-09, 05:42 PM
The Guvnor

The BIS isnt enough for a quad but temps shouldnt be that bad mate something is wrong. Move the case about and look for air, make sure the pump is spinning, also take a pic and Ill look over the loop for you

If you recommend a product LINK THE REVIEW

Get along or run along. Your choice