Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Overclocking

Old 19-03-09, 08:55 PM

p4 660 and PENTIUM 965 EXTREME EDITION 3.73 GHZ LGA775 2mb engineering cpu

i bought ga-g31m-s2l about a week ago to use with this INTEL PENTIUM 965 EXTREME EDITION 3.73 GHZ LGA775 2mb i was told that its an engineering cpu.but im using a Pentium 4 660 in the board at the moment clocked at,Technology 90 nm

Core Speed 4032.0 MHz (18.0 x 224.0 MHz)

Rated Bus speed 896.0 MHz

Stock frequency 3600 MHz. using easy tune,when i first got motherboard i could go into bios and up fsb and set cpu volts but now even if i go from 200 to

201 it wont boot.i know motherboard is not what most people would use to clock with but i got it specifically for the engineering 965 as was told only certain boards where working with that cpu at the time.all help thanked in advance.

details about the 965 that will be the chip i want to clock,the motherboard above is off the sellers feed back list.

these are new never before tested. i tested others!! there is no warranty on this product or returns our competition is selling these for double our price!!!! please do not ask for a warranty we do not have one . as is!!

CPU,s have been tested on the 2 Motherboards listed below and we are certain that they are Fully Functional with these Motherboards:

Gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2 (rev. 2.1)

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 3.3)

They require DDR2-667 MHz Memory or Higher.

Since these are engineering samples they are very particular as to what motherboards they work with(many do not work) and the memory required with a high end CPU fan.

These CPU's are Intel Engineering samples and are experimental chips and do not react the way a normal Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition CPU would. In order to have these chips boot up properly in windows ,they must first boot up in the Bios—once they boot into the bios you must follow the instructions listed below:

1) In the Bios advanced settings turn off Hyper threading—

2) In the Bios advanced setting you must also —TURN OFF Virtualization.

Once both of the above are turned OFF, boot the system into windows—install windows and after the Operating system is FULLY installed, then you can reboot the system in the Bios and TURN BACK ON Virtualization and Hyperthreading in the advanced settings of the Bios—reboot into windows afterwards and then your installation is complete

they will sometimes register as xeons but of course they are not!!! that is because of your motherboards bios. if they were 775 xeons we would all be lucky. different software recognize them as different things,but the fun is once they run they run!!

Old 19-03-09, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

You got 2 of those Intel chip was very very hot when it run, you have to have a decent CPU cooler before you start to overclock. Those 2 (Hyper Threading and Virtualization) can turn off as its does nothing to your overclock. You shuold post more detail about your rig ike what kind of memory, psu...And finally make sure you flash your board's BIOS to the latest one. Hope it hellp you.
Old 19-03-09, 09:40 PM

its suppose to be 700 psu but not measure it my self,memory single 2gig stick crucial tech.

ga-g31m-s2l currently using 660 cpu,i was able to overclock from the bios when i first got it.

using fsb from 200 up,now even if i change fsb by 1 ecrement it wont load even if i increase

cpu volts.if just increase volts no problems but the moment i increase the fsb it wont boot.
Old 20-03-09, 11:17 AM
OC3D Elite

What speed is that memory rated at?

What brand is that PSU?

Have you tried upping the northbridge and vcore (and dimm) voltage slightly when you boost the fsb.

Don't extreme editions have unlocked multipliers, so try boosting that rather than the FSB.

i7 3930K 4.5GHz -EK Supreme HF- Rampage IV Extreme EK Blocks - 32GB 1600MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - TCubed BigNG - 240GB SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 21-03-09, 06:07 AM

ga-g31m-s2l currently using 660 cpu,i was able to overclock from the bios when i first got it.but it wont overclock in bios now,

using fsb from 200 up,now even if i change fsb by 1 ecrement it wont load even if i increase

cpu volts.if just increase volts no problems but the moment i increase the fsb it wont boot.and im running latest bios
Old 24-03-09, 02:26 PM

all sorted now,i was using 1 stick of 2 gig ram in second slot which is where i placed it last after changing out cpu.i should have put it back in the primary slot.now i can overclock in bios,brilliant.thanks to those that took time out to help.
Old 04-07-09, 06:28 AM

I too bought one of these CPU's of eBay and got a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (rev3.3) motherboard as outlined.

I installed it as outlined and my system is constantly giving me BSoD's with various reasons.

My setup is:

CPU = Intel P4 EE ES 3.73 (as outline above) (Noctua NH-U12P)

Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (rev3.3) - latest BIOS

RAM = CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (4-4-4-12) (2.1v)

GPU = Gigabyte GV-N98TOC-512H (9800GT OC)

PSU = Zalman ZM600-HP

It doesn't matter if I install M$ Vista or M$ Windows 7, same result.

I have tried leaving the Hyperthreading and Virtualisation off, but still BSoD's.

I have run MEMTEST x86 v2.11 for 4 passes and it passes 100%. Ran a stress test on the CPU and it said it passed.

My belief is that my CPU is the culprit.

Any one able to shed some light ?