OC3D Elite

problem!!!

not sure if this is a ram problem but here goes:

Ok,heres the problem,my vista x64 is BSOD'ing every few minutes

with various errors:

win23k.sys

driver irq not less or equal

page fault

after a little bit of time on google the general consensus is that its a memory problem,however i have run memtest on both sticks of ram for 12 hours a time,with no problems.Vista will not run with both sticks of ram,but will run fine with only one stick.could it be down to a recent windows update that has borked my system or is my mobo on its way out

Old 17-03-09, 08:38 PM

Real long shot here, but have you got this hotfix installed :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us
Old 17-03-09, 08:43 PM
OC3D Elite

would this apply to sp1 though?my vista is x64 sp1 so surely the 3-4 gig memory problem was solved,I thought that was one of the fixes in sp1?

one other thing,this is a fresh install of vista,as I had my previos install for over a year and decided for a spring clean(should not have bothred tbh) and this is where all problems have started
Old 17-03-09, 08:46 PM

Yeah im pretty sure SP1 fixes the issue. Might be worth a try anyways. I know my pre SP1 vista 64 didnt want to pickup the update and I always had to download manually.

You say it works with one stick, does it work with both sticks individually ?

Are you overclocking ? Might need to up the NB voltage a tad
Old 17-03-09, 08:51 PM
OC3D Elite

it works with both sticks individually.my NB voltage has been the same for the past year with no problems,but I guess it cant hurt to up it
Old 18-03-09, 12:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Update:I pulled a spare drive out and installed linux(ubuntu ultimate) and have had no problems with running both sticks of ram,so I must assume that it is a problem with a recent windows update.The only problem is to find out which one causes the issuse with my system.Anyone else getting any funky behaviour with 4 gig and a recent windows update
Old 18-03-09, 12:20 AM
OC3D Elite

Really weird, i'm on Vista x64 with 4GB ram and I rarely get a BSOD.
Old 18-03-09, 12:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='nepas'
Update:I pulled a spare drive out and installed linux(ubuntu ultimate) and have had no problems with running both sticks of ram,so I must assume that it is a problem with a recent windows update.The only problem is to find out which one causes the issuse with my system.Anyone else getting any funky behaviour with 4 gig and a recent windows update
I got a BSOD ( not less or equal nonsense) whilsd reading this post, 4GB ram with vista ultimate sp1 !!!

Here
Old 18-03-09, 12:32 AM
OC3D Elite

this thread is contagious! about 5 mins after i posted my pc froze then I got a horrible blue screen up!

Anyone with 4GB of ram and Vista x64 run for your lifes! =(
Old 18-03-09, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

I'm just on 32bit vista (council vista)

Here