Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Cases & Power

Old 25-02-09, 10:43 PM

New gaming PC on a Budget

Hello all I very new to all of this so please keep with me.

I am looking to build a new gaming PC but am on a pretty tight budget. I am probably going to do the build in stages too.

The overall budget is probably gonna be about £500, I already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse (all basic Dell ones but good enough to get me started).

I want to build a machine that can cope with most on and off line games, I want to eventually pop a BluRay drive in as well in order to watch films. I have a HD TV so would like to be able to link it directly to that too via an HDMI leed if this is possible?? Also I would like it to be as quiet as possible

To stat my build off I am looking for a Case and PSU, have been looking at the Coolermaster Elite 330 with 650W PSU for £65 or the Thermaltake Tsunami Dream, if you guys think there is anything better but within my buget then please let me know.

Thank you all....

Old 25-02-09, 11:02 PM
OC3D Elite

If you can live with £7 over:

E8400

P5Q-E

OCZ Gold

HD4850

320gb HDD

DVD-RW

Case + PSU

There's a few tweaks you could make but this setup is pretty much the benchmark.
Old 26-02-09, 05:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Out of interest, will that PSU support a 4850 with an 8400? Maybe jump to a bigger PSU (460W will limit your upgrade potential) although that does put the price up. I assume you already have an OS? In addition, I think the bluray will be impossible on this budget unless you plan to add it on later in which case it will be fine.

In addition, are you planning to overclock? In which case upgrading the CPU cooler is definitely a consideration.

i7 5960X 4.5GHz -EK Supreme EVO - Asus - X99-WS-E - 32GB 2400MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - Plextor 240GB PCIe SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 26-02-09, 06:54 PM
OC3D Elite

I've been powering a heck of alot more with a quality 500w psu, so I'd guess yes aslong as the power is supplied through the correct channels.

Pretty neat basket Ham tbh for £500.

Old 26-02-09, 06:58 PM

Thanks to you both for your comments.

I very nearly ordered the Coolermaster case from ebuyer but was told that the build quality is not that great and that the power switch is really not very good!

What are your thoughts and are there any others that would be a good subsitute??

Thank you...
Old 26-02-09, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member

Antec 300

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Antec...r-Case-w-o-PSU

Great write up, popular with CustomPC magazine
RAM: Corsair 12GB
Case: Antec P182
HDD 1: Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB
HDD 2: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB
Old 27-02-09, 12:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Anyone thought about OS?
Old 27-02-09, 01:27 PM
OC3D Elite

I was hoping he had a spare one/could use the one off an old pc?

i7 5960X 4.5GHz -EK Supreme EVO - Asus - X99-WS-E - 32GB 2400MHz RAM - 680GTX SLI Koolance Blocks - Creative Titanium Pro - TJ07B-W - Plextor 240GB PCIe SSD - 3TB HD - Dual Loop
Old 27-02-09, 08:30 PM

Hi all

Just got back from a hard day fixing peoples virgin stuff, am shattered, Have however got myself a case, its the Coolermaster Elite 335.

Not as good as the Antec however but well within my price range at just £26, which I thought would be a great starter case for my first build.

Now gotta think about power supply's and this I really do need your help! I have absolutly no idea what is required for a power supply and what type I need to look out for! Have been offered a Coolermaster Extreme 650W but thought would ask you guys first!

As regards operating system, well I do have an proper copy of XP that came with my old (now pretty much redundant) PC, I was thinking about grabbing a copy of Vista as its plummeting in price at the mo or wait for Windows 7. I did download a copy of Windows 7 beta a while ago but found that it did not like my PC I had at the time so popped XP back on, maybe I should download another copy as maybe they have fixed the problems now!

Have also been given a MB with a Intel Celeron Quad??? For free! I know its not super quick but would that do for now or should I really just wait and get a new one?
Old 27-02-09, 08:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Go for the CM PSU if its a decent price.

There's no such thing as a celeron quad mate (unless its very, very new). Find the models of the CPU and Mobo and we'll be able to let you know if they're worth a dam .