Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 31-01-09, 01:31 PM

All this Phenom II hype has got me pondering....

Up untill this point I have been so happy with my setup, but I cant stop this urge to get rid of all this intel stuff and get the Phenom II 940BE.

Please tell me it will not be worth my while to swith and that it'll be a silly move.

My current specs:

* DFI LP DK P35-T2RS

* Intel E8300 @4.0Ghz (500 x 8)

Now, i know these new Phenoms will do 4.0ghz aswell and that's what's making me gravitate towards all of this...

Please leave your comments....

Old 31-01-09, 01:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Clock for Clock, phenom II doesnt seem to be as fast.

However, you will be upgrading to quad core, which would be a lot faster in certain apps..

Tbh, if i were you, I would wait for Am3 phenom, and make your mind up then.

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 31-01-09, 02:42 PM

I agree with Luigi. From your current setup, it shows that you will be needing a new Mobo...why not give it a couple of months, wait for Socket 941 and upgrade then. Note that AM3 CPU will work on Socket 940, BUT not vice versa (or maybe I've read it wrong)

Either way, I'd wait for AM3, and maybe enjoy DDR3

-HypoG
Old 31-01-09, 04:34 PM

Ye, i kinda know this, but it still doesnt settle this need for something new. I'll probably try to sell this setup and get the Phenom II..
Old 31-01-09, 04:53 PM

Another reason to wait - prices will come down soon. They always release with high prices and within a month reduce.
Old 31-01-09, 06:00 PM

imo if you have a motherboard that can use the phenom 2, go for it. if not stay with intel.

Old 31-01-09, 06:15 PM
OC3D Elite

go for it
Old 01-02-09, 02:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Luigi'
Clock for Clock, phenom II doesnt seem to be as fast.

However, you will be upgrading to quad core, which would be a lot faster in certain apps..

Tbh, if i were you, I would wait for Am3 phenom, and make your mind up then.
U can't really make clock for clock comparisons any more than u can an nvidia or ati gpu.

"If" the newest amd did superpi under 12s @ 3.5ghz and the intel does it @ 4ghz, doesn't make any difference. The matter that they did it is more of a factor.

Old 01-02-09, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

I heard they can do 3.6-3.7 on air... with what seems to me to be a lot of voltage increase, requiring above average cooling solutions (perhaps WC).

It does depend on the things you use your rig for.

GAMING. At this time if only gaming is concerned, moving to a PII could let you disappointed. Your 4GHz 45nm C2D should cope better with this task, you should consider investing your money in a videocard.

OFFICE. Even your current config. is overkill for office work. Try downclocking and undervolting.

BUSINESS/MULTIMEDIA. I will put here everything that means serious work, the kind that puts a lot of food on the table and a gold plated roof over your crib. Unless the app. is specifically designed to use the extra cores, then you'll again be at a loss. Even with two cores, your little chip has that SSE 4.1 and VT (which PII also has to some extent) and that helps. A lot.

So, bottom line. If you have less then 4GB or ram, buy more. If you have something less then a 4870X2 or (better yet) a GTX295, buy one of those. Since you're on a P35, I don't recommend another CF/SLI solution. You'll see much more from these upgrades, then a switch. The novelty will help for a week or two, then you'll start wondering if it was really worth it. And I think it wouldn't be.
Old 01-02-09, 11:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
I'll be assembling my air cooled Phenom II 920 rig tomorrow, I'll let ya know how she fairs.