Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 12-01-09, 04:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Buying a laptop

Ever since my ol' crappy laptop's power supply decided to die I have been looking for a few new portable. My main requirement was portability (I hated the hernia the 4kg crappyness got me) and a little CAD performance, just to view files and do minor edits. My original budget was around €500 but that got bashed into the ground as soon as I started surfing shops. My real max. is around €800. Also, battery time is quite important to me as I have to travel 2-3 hours a day.

Currently I have my eye on three laptops, all in dutch shops but you should be able to read the specs.

#1: 13.3" LeNovo Thinkpad SL300

Price: €550 incl.

Pros: Price

Cons: Performance (2GB and lesser cpu) and possible battery time.

EDIT: also pre installed OS as I have a Vista lying around unused.

#2: 13.3" FCB XNi730t Manually added: 4GB RAM, additional 8cells battery, pixel warranty, luxury sleeve and extended warranty to 1year P&R.

Price: €737 excl.

Pros: Brushed aluminium 4GB ram and 8cells battery.

Cons: 8cells battery might be quite heavy

#3: 12.2" FCB (Clevo) Xni TN120R Manually added: 4GB RAM, pixel warranty, luxury sleeve and extended warranty to 1year P&R

Price: €757 excl.

Pros: Touchscreen All way turnable screen

Cons: 4cells battery.

Which of these would you guys recommend? At the moment I'm leaning towards the second laptop because of its battery and probably durability. The third is has a cool screen but I'm afraid the lifetime of the screen/system joint will not be very good, and I also think 12.2" might be a little too small.

Old 12-01-09, 04:19 PM
OC3D Elite

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...326#ps-sellers

I myself have:

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...783#ps-sellers
Old 12-01-09, 04:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Hmm it's an interesting one, but I found a few cons:

- 2GB ram (not a disaster, but I'd prefer 3-4)

- Pre installed OS, I still have a Vista license here

- UK located, I'm in the Netherlands so warranty and shipping will be more complicated.

- Price gets around €770,- Excl. I could have the second laptop in my post for that which I really prefer when looking at the specs.

I do appreciate your suggestion The CPU is more powerful than the ones I proposed but I just do not think it's worth the cons.

Old 12-01-09, 04:30 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='monkey7'
Hmm it's an interesting one, but I found a few cons:

- 2GB ram (not a disaster, but I'd prefer 3-4)

- Pre installed OS, I still have a Vista license here

- UK located, I'm in the Netherlands so warranty and shipping will be more complicated.

- Price gets around €770,- Excl. I could have the second laptop in my post for that which I really prefer when looking at the specs.

I do appreciate your suggestion The CPU is more powerful than the ones I proposed but I just do not think it's worth the cons.
True, does screen size really matter to you? Never go for a Samsung laptop :P, the keys tend to vanish lol.
Old 12-01-09, 04:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Well it quite does. When I'm a full day at school (which I should be 4 days/week) I have to carry it around in my backpack for 8-9 hours. I also work a lot in the train where you do not have a lot of room for your laptop if you still want to fit in the seat yourself.

Also, a lower screen size generally means a longer battery time. And as my school seems to be incapable of installing a proper amount of wall power sockets in the classrooms I will need some serious battery time at those long days