Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 12-01-09, 02:47 PM
Efekkt Efekkt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 38
Got a problem with my PC, unsure of what it is.

there's a prob with my pc, but i'm not quite sure what it is. before i begin, here are my specs:

amd athlon 64 X2 4600+

1GB unknown RAM

GeForce 7500 LE

1 HDD

DVD/RW drive

400w power supply if i'm not wrong

well, i added a new gpu (XFX 8800 GT) like 2 weeks ago and noticed that every time i'm gaming, the pc seems to shut down automatically. it's fine when i'm just doing stuff, but when i get into games, whole thing just goes blaap. i just wanna know whether it might be the power supply having not enough power so my gpu overheats and the mobo reacts by shutting down. or could it be something else?

also, when i added some new crucial ballistix tracer sticks, occasionally while i'm surfing the net or whatever it would go into a blue screen and then shut down before i could read anything. only happens when i'm using the pc though. any clue what it might be?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-01-09, 02:49 PM
Ham Ham is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,981
It wouldn't supprise me if that is a psu issue. What make is it?

Also you have plugged in the PCI-E 6 pin havn't you?

What nvidia drivers are installed?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-09, 02:49 PM
monkey7 monkey7 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,085
I'm afraid your power supply does not have enough juice. You could upgrade it with for example a low wattage corsair or Antec if I'm correct.
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-01-09, 03:00 PM
Snafu Snafu is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 32
Is the PSU a name brand or generic? 400w is pretty low but if it is a good brand then I would check with a PSU calculator to see if it is being overloaded.

What about heat? Is everything running cool?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-09, 03:02 PM
Efekkt Efekkt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
It wouldn't supprise me if that is a psu issue. What make is it?

Also you have plugged in the PCI-E 6 pin havn't you?

What nvidia drivers are installed?
some 400w cooler master psu i think. and yup, course i plugged in the 6 pin.

only the latest from nvidia at that time. i don't think it was a driver problem. :/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-09, 03:09 PM
Efekkt Efekkt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Snafu'
Is the PSU a name brand or generic? 400w is pretty low but if it is a good brand then I would check with a PSU calculator to see if it is being overloaded.

What about heat? Is everything running cool?
nope, most of the time the graphics card ran way hot. i could probably fry an egg on the thing. i was wondering if it's cause of the power supply not supplying enough powar.

also, i would like to add that a fan on my motherboard is not working so i removed it. it's the little fan shown over here:

http : // img.lanparty.tw/Upload/CatalogElement/NF590-SLI-M2R-G_L.jpg

could that be an issue?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-01-09, 03:16 PM
°TheMadDutchDude° °TheMadDutchDude° is offline
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 840
Can you tell us what Amps you got on the 12v rails?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-01-09, 03:20 PM
Efekkt Efekkt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='°TheMadDutchDude°'
Can you tell us what Amps you got on the 12v rails?
alright, give me a sec.

EDIT: erm, this will sound kinda weird but i kinda blew up the power supply (don't ask how) and my bro threw it away so i don't even know the model number. could it be due to low amps on the 12v rail?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-01-09, 03:27 PM
Ham Ham is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Efekkt'
nope, most of the time the graphics card ran way hot. i could probably fry an egg on the thing. i was wondering if it's cause of the power supply not supplying enough powar.

also, i would like to add that a fan on my motherboard is not working so i removed it. it's the little fan shown over here:

http : // img.lanparty.tw/Upload/CatalogElement/NF590-SLI-M2R-G_L.jpg

could that be an issue?
Oh dear. While its an AM2 board, its not a northbridge. But what ever is under that heatsink will need cooling.

Did you remove the metal aswell or just the fan?

It may be a case of the 8800GT utilising the PCI-E bus to the point where the chip is overheating. If that is indeed the southbridge. Get a fan over it at very least asap.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-01-09, 03:32 PM
Efekkt Efekkt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Ham'
Oh dear. While its an AM2 board, its not a northbridge. But what ever is under that heatsink will need cooling.

Did you remove the metal aswell or just the fan?

It may be a case of the 8800GT utilising the PCI-E bus to the point where the chip is overheating. If that is indeed the southbridge. Get a fan over it at very least asap.
not the metal, just the fan. and i'm pretty sure that's the southbridge. i'll get a fan over it asap, thanks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT. The time now is 04:03 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.