Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 27-11-08, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Project: Edge

I didn't plan of starting this build log until I had something proper to show, but as i've already started doing stuff to the case, why not.

Basically i'm going to be using my A71 that i've been trying to sell for weeks now (I know, rather lucky it didn't go in the end). A quick reminder for anyone who doesn't remember what it looks like:

A quick run down of what'd be happening to give her an adequate make over:

-Laser cutting on the door

-Black internal powdercoating

-Custom top plate for vandal switches

-Custom Rails for base (no more wheels)

-A whole bunch of fancy anodised bolts and washers

-Green acrylic replaced with red+mesh

-Custom top radiator grill

Having had a large amount of debt written off money isn't a problem anymore (although I am still relying on selling alot of my old gear *hint hint wink wink*), so i'm hoping to get this build done and finished in a relatively short time frame.

READY. SET. GO!

Case stripped of everything not needed... which turned out to be pretty much everything. No more rear HDD caddy, no more front panel switches, no more front fan filters, no more front LED's:

As you can see i've started removing the Akasa stuff and lemme tell you, it's HORRENDOUS. Just to get the worst off the front and part of the back took an hour and half with a couple of stanley blades. >.<

Obviously still a lot more cleaning to to go yet:

And the draw I threw everything from the case in:

More very soon.

Old 28-11-08, 01:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Nice start mate...I'll subscribe to this one. Any details on what go-fast bits are going to be in this project?
Old 28-11-08, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

I'm gonna be moving my Intel machine over from the Mountain Mods:

QX6800

Asus P5E3 Deluxe

2GB 1800Mhz DDR3

9800GX2

CoolerMaster M700

X-Fi

150GB Raptor X and a couple of 320GB Hitachi's

Anyways, minor updates. Stripped case has been in the bat, getting scrubbed up to get the remainder of the glue off (I was gonna include a rubber ducky in this pic, but I cant find it >.<):

It looks scratched to f*** but it's smooth as it was new:

And my package from tastynuts arrived, some lovely looking countersunk anodised bolts and washers for the window (excuse the green acrylic in the lower part, it's gonna be replaced with red stuff soon):

More soon.
Old 02-12-08, 07:21 AM
OC3D Elite

dude where did you find those anodised nuts??? ive been looking EVERYWHERE
Old 02-12-08, 01:40 PM
OC3D Crew

Dang this is gona be epic.

Asus N550LF : i5 4200U / Kingston 6GB / GT 745M / 500GB HDD / Windows 8.1 / 15.6" Touchscreen
Old 02-12-08, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='sock58'
dude where did you find those anodised nuts??? ive been looking EVERYWHERE
Tastynuts.com

Anyways, convinced my mate to finish off readying the case for powdercoating... my knuckles took enough of a beating from the stanly blades so I left him with the sandpaper. :P

Got a couple of deliveries today. A couple of sexy black/red dot Lamptron vandal switches and some very nice UV red Bitspower fan filters (for the price they are great, come with silicon vibration absorbers, plastic "easy fan screws" and 4 proper nuts and bolts to secure them to the case).

Also got enough braiding and heatshrink to make sure every fan, pump and power cable is nice and neat. Only done a single Redwing fan and a few fan extension cables so far as everything else is still in the Mountain Mods while the A71 is getting done.

Piccies later.
Old 02-12-08, 07:38 PM
OC3D Crew

Everybody loves some shiny nuts

If at first you don't succeed, buy a new part
Old 02-12-08, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Another minor update. Parcels came today so I got about to readying the switches and fan extender cables.

Braiding isn't perfect as there wasn't any small heatshrink in stock, had to make do with 9mm stuff... still, none of it's gonna be seen anyways (only the actual cable):

Quickly tested the vandal switch on the cube and it works perfectly. Nice bright LED in the center.

The Bitspower fan filters are great aswell, come with a whole bunch of accessories (not pictured):

Case is ready to go off to Marcus this week aswell, once it's back things will be moved into it and we'll all start to get an idea of what the final product will look like.
Old 05-12-08, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Case is with Marcus now and the last couple of orders have been made (red acrylic and CCFL's, couple more RedWing fans, a pair of Scythe HDD stabilizers, nothing major).

Tinytom will be handling the custom rails and rad grill and hopefully i'll have the powdered chassis back fairly soon so I can get about to moving hardware into it and getting an idea of what the final product will look like.
Old 05-12-08, 04:52 PM
OC3D Elite

This should be interesting...