Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 11-11-08, 06:21 PM

Extreme Budget Build

Ok, well my friend asked me to build him an extreme budget gaming PC. Right now he runs some no name from 2003 with a GeForce 4000'a series, really old Pentium 4, like 1.6 GHz I think, a 60 GB IDE, pretty much total crap.

Anyways, he's looking for a gaming rig for under $400. He plays Counter Strike, Call of Duty 4, Left 4 Dead, Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Sims, and pretty much all the Source games. Anyways, I was hoping you guys could help me out a little bit on this.

Case & PSU: APEX Steel MicroATX Mid Tower w/ 300W PSU

Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-EM 780G HDMI Micro ATX

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz

Video Card: HIS 4670 512MB

Memory: OCZ PC2-6400 2GB

Hard Drive: Western Digital 160GB SATA

Optical: Lite-On DVD Burner

Cables & Fans: $12.27

Price Before Shipping = $363.21

Price After MIR Before Shipping = $328.21

Shipping = $36.01

Price After Shipping = $399.22

Price After MIR After Shipping = $364.22

If anyone has any suggestions, comments, or anything thing to say, please post. Also if you find any Newegg Promo Codes that work with this, please tell me, all I found is AMD1135 which takes $5 off the CPU, but I can't find any 5% off, free shipping, we pay the tax, or anything like that. So if you find any promo codes, have any suggestions, or comment's, please post.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-08, 09:18 PM
OC3D Elite

There was a black-friday event by some sites after the election. I know I had mail shots from TigerDirect which I didnt look at really, it's a shame u didnt catch that. Then ofc there is black-friday at thanksgiving that will have further savings.

As to the parts.. with that kind of budget and the items ur looking at, I'd definitely look at any combo deals from newegg, mobo/cpu/memory and see if u can save anything on that.

Edit: Just mentioning combo deals, when I lookup the mobo on newegg and goto the bottom, there is a 4850e x2 for $59.99 with the mobo. I'm not totally up on AMD cpus, but is that a better one ?

Edit2: Sorry it's not a combo deal, it's just "what other people bought" thing.

Edit3: I used all the items u listed above, switched to 2x2g of gskill (was also in the "what other people bought" list, and that cpu I mentioned, for $374 with only a $10 mail-in. B4 any shipping.

Old 11-11-08, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Rastalovich'
There was a black-friday event by some sites after the election. I know I had mail shots from TigerDirect which I didnt look at really, it's a shame u didnt catch that. Then ofc there is black-friday at thanksgiving that will have further savings.

As to the parts.. with that kind of budget and the items ur looking at, I'd definitely look at any combo deals from newegg, mobo/cpu/memory and see if u can save anything on that.

Edit: Just mentioning combo deals, when I lookup the mobo on newegg and goto the bottom, there is a 4850e x2 for $59.99 with the mobo. I'm not totally up on AMD cpus, but is that a better one ?

Edit2: Sorry it's not a combo deal, it's just "what other people bought" thing.
I checked, there's no other combo's besides the Mobo and CPU which I included. That one's a $10 Discount.

And I'm not up for AMD's too, but with this budget I'm sort of forced. I'd like a E4500 but that cost too much. The Pentium Dual Core E2180 overclocks like a beast, you can get it from 1.8 all the way to 3.5 on any decent motherboard. Thing is I don't want to dish out $40 on a heatsink to make the CPU worth it. So I decided I'd just use the AMD X2 5000+, and run it stock speeds on the stock cooler.
Old 11-11-08, 09:34 PM
OC3D Elite

Nah, I meant I dont know what the difference between the 5000+ and the 4850e is >.< (appart from 0.2ghz stock)

hehe