Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 08-11-08, 02:32 PM
OC3D Crew

Car radiator

There are LOADS of posts on other forums and a few on here menitoning using car radiators for cooling given they cost £100 and cool way better than any watercooling specific radiator its stupid not to try when your car radiator is being replaced for a shiny one

The problem here in is the connections. They are huge and no-one ver mentions how they got theirs to work. I'm currently building 3 PCs and think this would be a good laugh to try on one once up and running. Does anyone know where I could get connections from normal rad pipe 1"ID ish to 1/2"ID?

If at first you don't succeed, buy a new part
Old 09-11-08, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Plumbing/building supply shops are your best bet I reckon.

Car rads are good for passive setups as long as your not dumping too much heat into the loop.
Old 09-11-08, 10:15 PM
OC3D Crew

I would have thought they would perform better due to sheer surface area advantages.

Though they must work better with 70mph motorway driving winds rushing through them. Trying to recreate that with 12v fans may prove to be difficult!!

ED
Old 09-11-08, 10:50 PM
OC3D Elite

The improvement over the best PC tailored solution will not be worth the effort. Plus if you factor in the heat dump from the pump you will need to provide good flow will negate a large proportion of the gains.

Its been done with a racing rad and massive fan and it made naff all improvement. Save the money and effort mate.

Old 14-11-08, 01:16 PM
OC3D Crew

Well its just cause my rad needs replacing as its gummed up. So I can whip it out put new one in. Then I can clean it up with power washer. Might try to build a shrinker then instead so I can give it ago when I drain my system for ****s and giggles

Cheers lads

If at first you don't succeed, buy a new part