Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 05-11-08, 05:53 AM

Do I really need to buy a older os disc to install Win XP?

I have finished making my first computer and am having trouble installing the OS. I have Windows XP Home Edition and when I place it in my computer everything so far is ok. Then It says that no other version of microsoft was found on my computer(duh new pc) and that I need to insert the Win NT 3.15, NT 4.0, 2000 Professional, 95, 98, or Millennium to continue. So, is there no way around this other than buying an old OS disk just to install this other OS on my pc?

Old 05-11-08, 05:57 AM

How have you installed the OS? Through the blue screen process just after BIOS?
Old 05-11-08, 06:05 AM

I never got to install the OS. A blue Screen poped up saying installing Windows XP, it then starts loading all these dlls at the bottom of the screen, it then ask me if I accept or do not accept some form most software products have, then after that it ask me to insert a older OS disk to continue. It never even starts the actual Win XP install exe.

-edit-

My above post makes it sound like it started, I really just meant that everything went ok with the bios and loading the disk.
Old 05-11-08, 06:20 AM

Are you using a brand new disk and is it OEM?
Old 05-11-08, 06:28 AM

The OS disk I have is when XP first came out. It is Win XP 1.0, no pre-installed sp packs included on it. I dont think it is OEM. Version 2002.
Old 05-11-08, 06:48 AM
OC3D Elite

Sounds like a Windows XP Upgrade disk to me rather than the full version. What the upgrade disk does is search for certain files on the hard disk/CD in order to verify you have a previous version of windows installed (or at least the install disk of a previous windows version).

Can you borrow a Windows 98/ME disk from a friend?
Old 05-11-08, 07:09 AM

Nah, noone has them anymore. Looks like I have to buy the full win Xp disk online(now I must wait 5-7 days...), if you can boot from a usb, then Ill just find one of the old OS, download it, then have the bios boot off of it.
Old 05-11-08, 07:30 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='lostsnow'
Nah, noone has them anymore. Looks like I have to buy the full win Xp disk online(now I must wait 5-7 days...), if you can boot from a usb, then Ill just find one of the old OS, download it, then have the bios boot off of it.
It may be worth doing a bit of googleing to see exactly what files it looks for as part of the upgrade process. From what I remember its only a few and it may not take too much work to 'find' them online.
Old 05-11-08, 09:00 AM

Bootdisk have some old OS stuff, try them?
Old 05-11-08, 01:40 PM

No need now. I already purchased a Windows XP sp2 OEM from tiger direct. Thx for the help anyway.