Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Overclocking

Old 28-10-08, 04:43 PM

Improving OC ~ Advice Please !!!

Hi all @ OC3D forums

First off, gotta say, nice website!

Could you help me get a faster OC please?

My memory is cheap stuff, its 2x2GB Elixir PC2-6400U, which is a bottleneck, but I cant upgrade it for the next few weeks. Its running at 445 (same as FS with a 2 x multiplier with pretty standard timings. If I try to make the memory or CPU any faster usually my programs start crashing.

Although my CPU voltage says 1.375 in the BIOS screeny, in CPUID it reads at 1.34, which is ok? I read somewhere that 1.4 was the maximum safe voltage for an E8400.

CPU temp 40ºC - 45ºC idle, and 45ºC to 65ºC under load.

I'm interested In finding out how to tweek those advanced memory settings. Also I havnt got a clue about the voltages, I read somewhere that +0.1 and +0.2 was safe, so I put an extra 0.2 through the RAM and Northbridge and an extra 0.25 through the FSB.

I altered the CPU GTLREF Voltage ratio from 0.67 to 0.60 after reading a forum post about someone else's OC without fully understanding what the ratio represents.

Any help appreciated, thanks,

jenova
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0266 (Medium).jpg (98.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0267 (Medium).jpg (102.2 KB, 8 views)

Old 19-11-08, 07:17 PM

First of all:

Post a list of your exact system specifications.

Second: Those load temps are high enough, if it hits 60+ you either need better cooling or you're done OCing.

EDIT:

1) I second MeltedDuron

2) 1.35-1.4 is needed for 4GHz on a C0. It depends what chip you got there on your E8400.

1.45 up to 1.55 runs fine on air cooling though (extreme), altough not recommended.

1.4 is your TOP on stock cooling, as you can see with your temps. You're either having a stock cooler, a (very) bad aftermarket cooler or left the plastic inbetween the cooler and the CPU (like I did BOOM 90 degrees xD)
Old 19-11-08, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to MeltedDuron Send a message via MSN to MeltedDuron
Ok, well, welcome to OC3D first of all mate!

I'm gonna have to second what Allubz just said. Full system specs would let us in on the bigger picture.

You seriously want to think about getting some better cooling going on, if I was in your position I'd drop the vcore a notch and try and get a stable OC going, those temps are scary for a 45nm chip! I've got an e4300, one of the most resilient core2's ever made imo, and I'd never let it get much over 60c.

If you're running stock cooling, you might as well take your 4ghz and be happy with it! The last time I hardcore overclocked was on socket 478, so a lot of my knowlege is outta date now i guess, but one thing that'll always be true (unless you're running amd ), is, the colder your chip is, the better it'll treat you.

4 gigs is a respectable OC, unless you're benching or your pc is a toy, ask yourself if you are happy with the performance, and if your PC does what you want it to. I havent spent long trying to squeeze a few more mhz out of my computer, because it doesn't really make much difference to me.

Hope I've given you something to think about, please get some better cooling though, you're hurting that wolfdale!

Alex
Old 19-11-08, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My memory is cheap stuff, its 2x2GB Elixir PC2-6400U, which is a bottleneck, but I cant upgrade it for the next few weeks. Its running at 445 (same as FS with a 2 x multiplier with pretty standard timings. If I try to make the memory or CPU any faster usually my programs start crashing.
I should say your ran run @ 890Mhz which is 90Mhz over stock speed so first of all change your FSB:RAM ratio made your ram always run @ 800Mhz or under. And I pretty sure that made your system not stable.

Quote:
Although my CPU voltage says 1.375 in the BIOS screeny, in CPUID it reads at 1.34, which is ok? I read somewhere that 1.4 was the maximum safe voltage for an E8400.
We all call it Vdroop, shoud post deatil of your board here. All most board will have Vdroop but on the high quality board its drop less than other.

ike those member said as well, post your full sytem so it more easy to solve the problem.

Happy overclocking then mate
Old 19-11-08, 08:08 PM

Oh, right. Cheapo RAM should always be spec'ed under it's stock specs to make sure it's not limiting.

And yeah. Vdroops all around you. Altough there's also Vbump, so to say. It's what the ASUS Max. Form / Ramp Form does with your RAM. +0.1 on the RAM. o.o
Old 04-12-08, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Vdroop pencil mod here: do 2-3 line with HB or 2HB will keep your Vcore stable whan 100% load (on my Vcore in BIOS is 1.5v, 100% loads is 1.5v).

[IMG][/IMG]