Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-10-08, 11:43 AM
OC3D Elite

Intel Ships Enterprise-Class Solid-State Drives

"New Drives Break Performance Barriers, Lower Storage Infrastructure, Cooling, Energy Costs"

Details in the press release

Old 21-10-08, 12:19 PM
OC3D Elite

I think this is taking money gone wild tbh.

1 x 32g unit for just under $700. For an energy saving or access speeds faster than ur infrastructure can probably handle..

U would have to either have a blank check, no concept of monies, or extremely gullable to invite the notion of allowing the purchase of a bank of these for ur server.

Companies managing to pass the costings onto their clients or perhaps some other kind of transaction justification that`s beyond logic.

Microsoft will have them, google will, Cisco, and so on.

I`m sure we`ll get them too.

About time this ssd mallarky was passed over imo.

Old 21-10-08, 04:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Agreed.

The cost per GB is still ridiculous. One could easily get a couple of terabytes of mechanical storage for one of those.

I'll stick with my 5TB of storage on mechanical drives for the time being.

Old 21-10-08, 05:16 PM
OC3D Elite

you do have to take into account other varibles other than just cost per GB. Power consumption etc, you'll need less cooling too. i can see your point if these were to be used in a file server/nas. But an app server would make good use of these and could see a pretty big saving over 3 odd years.
Old 21-10-08, 05:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Overrated... Not even worth thinking about until the price has dropped below $100.
Old 21-10-08, 07:32 PM
OC3D Elite

i seriously dont think anyone is looking at who these are aimed at?
Old 21-10-08, 08:52 PM

Have 4 of them here and they are amazing. I didn't have to pay a thing for them but well worth getting once price has dropped which they will next year Q1 09
Old 22-10-08, 09:41 AM
OC3D Elite

Well, if these are aimed at companies then at that price I still don't think they will take off.

Vista has yet to get anywhere near the buisness part of life.. how in gods name will SSDs at that price?
Old 22-10-08, 09:55 AM

Nice.

If I had the choice to swap out all our companies critical machines harddrives to SSD's I'ld not wait, but the cost is huge and the process is timeconsumming, but I've allready started making SSD machines that can replace the old mechanical based ones.

Mechanical SCSI disks can live for decades and still perform excellent, but there's the chance of a breakdown and the MTBF of SSD's is just so much higher than mechanical drives that the cost-benefit ratio over time is allready in the SSD's favour.

Awsome performance on those drives..

How's the temperature on them? (even if it ain't got moving parts, it gets hot)..

OCZ have some rather cheap and nice ones, but no where near these performance levels.. sadly 64gb is a wasted size.. the ocz ones atleast come in 250gb size, which makes it usable.

-bubba
Old 22-10-08, 10:01 AM
OC3D Elite

IF there were a problem with an SSD drive.. how do they react in terms of salvaging stuff ?

I know the likes of builds will incorporate these in redundancy, but if it`s the case u have to work on one, do they work/not work - allow partial access ? Or u gotta pay another firm high dollar to connect chips for u ?

They aint exactly disposable.