Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Rig Gallery

Old 09-10-08, 11:25 AM

Project metal frame.

I actually did all this months ago, but i did it in such little bits when i had spare 5 minutes that it was impossble to keep a build log.

It's not finished, by far, but i'm lacking inspiration for how to finish it so it's been left as is for the last 2 months or so and will be until i decide what to do.

It's built out of alu angle and flats, no plans or anything, just made up as i go along, to fit the components.

Some of the bolts still need cutting down and the decent closed ended nuts fitted like the 2 at the top, but like i said, i don't want to do anything else on it until i full decide how to finish it.

I've built it into my desk, and fitted it to runners so that it pulls out for easy access to work on the parts.

So far i'm thinking tidy up the insides, buy a modular PSU and clad it in perspex with a decent lighting and swith panel on the front, possibly missile style toggle switches with flip covers if i can find the right kind.

Old 09-10-08, 11:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Looks like a great start to an interesting idea.

Gonna have to watch cable anchoring in terms of pulling the draw out when the pc is on, in case something like the psu cable doesnt move with the draw.

Are you ok with the air movement at the rear when the draw is pushed in ?

Old 09-10-08, 12:05 PM

I've just realised i've posted this in the wrong forum, if a mod would be so kind...

I had the problem of cables getting stuck to begin with, so i have zip tied them together and fixed them to the desk with enough slack in between the fixing and the actual connectors.

Airflow is ok, the case sits flush with the back of the right hand panel, which sits about 2" further away from the wall that the left panel because of getting cables past... there's a good 3" gap between the back of the case and the walls

I've also had the idea of fitting a motor in the gap between the bottom of the case and the bottom of the desk to draw the case out rather than doing it by hand, though that is something i would actually have to plan.
Old 09-10-08, 12:11 PM
OC3D Elite

God it`d be so slick if u put a motor on the draw-slide. Something to move the base would be enough.

Press a button and the draw comes out ! hehe