Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 05-10-08, 12:25 PM
OC3D Elite

AMD ready to launch Shanghai

AMD are ready to launch their new chips:

Quote:
AMD has told server manufacturers to expect nine Shanghai parts to drop over the next few months, with several launches pulled in from the first quarter. The company plans to lead with a series of 55W parts, with more 55W in Q1, and a series of 105W performance parts as well.

Sunnyvale is keen to burn the memory of Barcelona out of the minds of customers and server builders and promises vastly improved performance compared to Barcelona parts for Shanghai. We reported yesterday that AMD's Patrick Patla promised Shanghai parts would provide 35% improved performance and 35% better power efficiency. Those figures, by the way, reflect both raw performance and improved clockspeeds; Shanghai should outperform Barcelona by 20 percent at the same clock.
http://arstechnica.com/journals/hard...pus-this-month

Old 05-10-08, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

God dammit i've barely been able to use my 9950 because of the lack of SB750 boards over here.

Still, i'm hoping these chips are good performers (and better overclockers) so AMD can close the gap with Intel.
Old 05-10-08, 02:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='D-Cyph3r'
God dammit i've barely been able to use my 9950 because of the lack of SB750 boards over here.
Fear not. From what I've read the new Deneb CPUs will indeed work with the current AM2+ motherboards.

Quote:
Still, i'm hoping these chips are good performers (and better overclockers) so AMD can close the gap with Intel.
They'll probably end up closing the gap between them and Penryn but definately not Nehalem. Architecture wise Nehalem is superior.

That said. I'd be interested to see how the new Opterons compare to the current 6 core Xeons.

Old 06-10-08, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Zoot'
Architecture wise Nehalem is superior.
Bar that nasty 1.65v RAM limit.
Old 06-10-08, 12:46 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Fear not. From what I've read the new Deneb CPUs will indeed work with the current AM2+ motherboards.
Only the first pre 3.0ghz batch with be AM2+ and DDR2. The 3.0ghz+ Denebs will be AM3 and DDR3 but without a 1.65v limit
Old 06-10-08, 06:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Bar that nasty 1.65v RAM limit.
OCZ DDR(3) Booster anyone