Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 05-08-08, 02:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Tempted to go back to XP

Vista is giving me nothing but problems atm, so i'm really tempted to go back to XP but the only thing keeping me at Vista is DX10. So should I go back to XP then when some good DX10 games come out upgrade back to Vista?

Old 05-08-08, 02:55 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Brooksie'
Vista is giving me nothing but problems atm, so i'm really tempted to go back to XP but the only thing keeping me at Vista is DX10. So should I go back to XP then when some good DX10 games come out upgrade back to Vista?
i was in the same position as you are know.

TBH when i went back to XP i missed Vista, i just missed the whole interface and looks, so i went back to vista and it just reminded me why i wanted XP, the speed difference and load times are just 10x betters then Vista

and with XP SP3 out it should make the world a better place hehe
Old 05-08-08, 03:45 PM
OC3D Elite

So you're basicly saying, go to XP and get a vista theme?
Old 05-08-08, 05:32 PM

I'm thinking that it's only worth tapping up the 64bit version of Vista so you can throw 4GB or more RAM and loads of GPU memory without the memory choke?

I've seen loads of guides advertised around the net for tweaking Vista, as from what i can assume it eats plenty of resources with behind the scenes processing, maybe a good point to start before reverting straight back to XP.

I have XP w/SP3 and Vista Theme running on a very... very old Sony Vaio, and it' doesn't seem all too slow, however i'd love to run Vista for the funky interface if only my pc could take it.

maybe investing in an extra 2gig of ram will make a difference.. DDR2's dirt cheap.
Old 05-08-08, 06:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah true, but i'm really tight for money atm and really can't afford it.
Old 05-08-08, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah true, but I'm really tight for money atm and really can't afford it.
In that case if you can't tune Vista to better get what you want out of it, i think maybe XP could be best. I'd rather have a smoother PC experience with an older O/S, plus we all know you'll have little compatibility issues, and is DX10 really worth the poor performance???

But i reckon you should maybe check out some tuning guides first, as we all want great performance with great eye candy >

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

http://support.gateway.com/s/softwar...418su584.shtml

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.c...d=2238&page=30

Hope this helps

[EDIT: The bottom link is for Laptops but you never know you may just find something worthwhile in it, i don't have Vista so can't really compare sorry]
Old 05-08-08, 08:00 PM
OC3D Crew

You know what, you could dual-boot in which I personally thought it was really messy, so all I did was get two HDs and one was installed with XP while the other was installed with Vista.

So all I do when I have to use one of them is just pop the power cable from the other HD to the one I want to use.

All that seems messy, but it was damn worth it.

btw it seems to me that the vista basic seems to be really stable than the other versions of Vista
Old 05-08-08, 09:22 PM

64bit Vista with 4GB+ RAM is the only one worth shaking a stick at. I really like it, tis smooth and nice and the UI is far superior to XP now I'm used to it
Old 06-08-08, 03:47 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
So you're basicly saying, go to XP and get a vista theme?
hehe not necessarily although it is an option

i did this, but all it did was slow down my boot up times and cause me alot of hassle when certain things such as the Start Orb where on the wrong display (as i run dual Screen) so i was forever trying to drag the orb back and sometimes when i click on the Start (orb) button that interface was mucked up it would be half vista half xp lool so i just gave up and re-formated

so i don’t recommend this, but maybe their are other themes that are more compatible
Old 06-08-08, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Hassan'
You know what, you could dual-boot...
You know i feel stupid for not even thinking of that!!!

I know a few peeps who run dual boot and they say it's not difficult at all, could a be the best solution tbh