Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 25-07-08, 09:21 AM

OC3D Article: Graphics - what do gamers want?

I take a look at graphics in games and ask a few questions about exactly what gamers want

link

Old 25-07-08, 09:51 AM
OC3D Elite

Too right mate!

Crysis looks good..but i get bored after / before finishin the first level :/

Plus my rig aint exactly low and i can still only play comfortable at medium high settings

Games and apps do need to start being coded better (quad support...tidier and heck even better gameplay!)

I have yet to see more than 3 games iv played that support native 64 bit
Old 25-07-08, 10:09 AM
OC3D Elite

Maybe its just me, but sometimes I think that amazing graphics can spoil a game.

I remember playing games like resident evil where the graphics were pretty dire. You'd be thinking "wtf is that on the floor" then all of a sudden realise its a zombie or sommit that starts chewing at ur feet
Old 25-07-08, 10:29 AM
OC3D Elite

I want amazing graphics.

I want amazing gameplay.

I want amazing hardware.

I get none of the above.

Is it me or are there no decent games out there? As time passes I feel less and less inclined to buy the latest hardware because there aren't any games I want to play and/or the performance increases are negligible.

The HDR mod to Half Life made an old game come back to life for me and still ran really well on my 88gts/88gt... Hell, HL2 ep1 ran smoothly on a 7300gt. However I feel Source looks too dated.

When I play a game I want to become immersed in the environment and feel as if I am there. This requires slick graphics (an attention to detail), sound is paramount (Doom was atmospheric) but also needs involving gameplay...

Recently I have nearly sold my PC a few times as it is now a glorified HTPC. I'm not playing games because there aren't any decent ones out there and the ones coming up that look decent probably won't run to my standards on my hardware which will force me into yet another hardware upgrade.

Sigh.

Edit: Also, all my mates with consoles are spoilt for choice for games that will instantly run fine on there console that is maybe a few years old... I think PC has better gameplay generally but they are so much hassle. I also feel people defend their PC's as they represent a significant investment for most people here (I bet most people here are 18-20 earning <£20K), luckily I could throw my PC out of the window and it would make no odds to me so I feel I can be more objective. PC's are a waste of money. They used to offer screaming performance and awesome games but the last two years I have seen them develop into money leeches. Feel free to disagree...
Old 25-07-08, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Recently I have nearly sold my PC a few times as it is now a glorified HTPC. I'm not playing games because there aren't any decent ones out there and the ones coming up that look decent probably won't run to my standards on my hardware which will force me into yet another hardware upgrade.
This is precisely my point mate
Old 25-07-08, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'

Edit: Also, all my mates with consoles are spoilt for choice for games that will instantly run fine on there console that is maybe a few years old... I think PC has better gameplay generally but they are so much hassle. I also feel people defend their PC's as they represent a significant investment for most people here (I bet most people here are 18-20 earning <£20K), luckily I could throw my PC out of the window and it would make no odds to me so I feel I can be more objective. PC's are a waste of money. They used to offer screaming performance and awesome games but the last two years I have seen them develop into money leeches. Feel free to disagree...
Couldn't agree more, The pc games releases has slowed down so much over the past year or two I've been saying this for a while.

I've been a gamer since i was a nipper and always argued that the PC was the defining platform, Whats an FPS without a keyboard and mouse, when was the last platform sonic type game you seen on the PC, strategy games were in a league of their own and obviously they was always cheaper than the consoles on the release date £30 or so.

I used to easily manage to buy a game a week for the PC and those were games i looked forward to getting not just anything off the shelf. I rerember medal of honour, call of duty and wolfenstien all getting released at the same time I rerember it as I booked a week off work lol

Just add a few flashy bits to the quake 3 engine and release some games I say.
Old 25-07-08, 12:55 PM

It may just be me but I’ve also noticed that games recently have to be cross-platform, often to the detriment of the game play on the PC. Its maybe best if I just explain what I mean in an example: Take Assassins Creed, An enjoyable game but one developed of a console not a PC. In fight sequences I found that I was just crunching keys all the time (the exact same way I did playing the game on the console), it didnt feel like I had control over what the character was doing.

The PC is capable of much more than a Console but game developers seem just to developed the game for the consoles then code it so a PC can play it too (instead of making a dedicated PC version of the game)
Old 25-07-08, 12:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
This is precisely my point mate
I know, I was agreeing with you. It's frustrating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Hiks'
Couldn't agree more, The pc games releases has slowed down so much over the past year or two I've been saying this for a while.

I've been a gamer since i was a nipper and always argued that the PC was the defining platform, Whats an FPS without a keyboard and mouse, when was the last platform sonic type game you seen on the PC, strategy games were in a league of their own and obviously they was always cheaper than the consoles on the release date £30 or so.

I used to easily manage to buy a game a week for the PC and those were games i looked forward to getting not just anything off the shelf. I rerember medal of honour, call of duty and wolfenstien all getting released at the same time I rerember it as I booked a week off work lol

Just add a few flashy bits to the quake 3 engine and release some games I say.
Agreed. I used to be able to walk into a shop and the top 10 games were all quality... Now... Hard pressed to find 1/2 good games every quarter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Duecut'
It may just be me but I’ve also noticed that games recently have to be cross-platform, often to the detriment of the game play on the PC. Its maybe best if I just explain what I mean in an example: Take Assassins Creed, An enjoyable game but one developed of a console not a PC. In fight sequences I found that I was just crunching keys all the time (the exact same way I did playing the game on the console), it didnt feel like I had control over what the character was doing.

The PC is capable of much more than a Console but game developers seem just to developed the game for the consoles then code it so a PC can play it too (instead of making a dedicated PC version of the game)
Too true. Is all the money in consoles? People always go where the money is, its business...

Now you can use kb/m with 360's/consoles I'm seriously thinking get a lappy for my internet needs and a sweet console to game on. I don't want to but unless something changes in the next few months games wise, I'll have to give up!
Old 25-07-08, 01:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Duecut'

QFT. Just look at the pile of console converted crap called Unreal Tournament III.
Old 25-07-08, 01:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Fisrt off. Mr Smith when you chuck it out the window ring this number about 4 hours before hand 07701234567

Secondly I have the same sentiments as the rest of us. I would not pay good money to buy a music CD where the band were playing with toy instruments - I expect real instruments and good music. So why do I pay good money for games developed by poor developers / companies whose only incentive is to make as much money as possible.

That will explain why the last time I bought a game was before Xmas (Cod4) and justifies in part why I still play the same games, going back to CSS and continously playing Project Reality.

More so I have started playing free here href="http://www.fallensword.com/?ref=1617466">FallenSword RPG - Play online now free!</a>

Just click create a new account

Its not the most graphic of games but it is Free and addictive and if you give it a go look for meltingwax to find me