Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 04-07-08, 02:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Viacom Demand YouTube Data

Courts have this week backed Viacom's demands for users data from Google in order to assess copyright breaches on the video website YouTube.

Article

Tell us what you think

Old 04-07-08, 02:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Imo, the whole YouTube thing is "meant" to be amateur-ish. Now what has sprouted from that tho are some comercial things, even whole shows taken from tv/video.

IF the YouTube limit the video size, I would prefer them to be free-and-easy amateur style.

I`d rather copyright things wouldn`t be an issue, but I do think that perhaps if some company does have some sense of violation that they could tagg the said video and it can be removed.

I thought that happened anyway for illicet stuff.

I`m not an avid YouTube fanatic, but I do respect what it is.

Old 05-07-08, 09:23 AM
OC3D Elite

Um wtf are they on about? Youtube has a 10 minute limit so how can you put whole TV shows on there?

Sorry but the court is wrong in this case and i hope Google fights it tooth and nail. Giving out log ins, viewing history, IP Addresses sheesh. Why dont i just hand my history and passwords over to Viacom as well as my pr0ns? For the heck of it i might as well just send some nudes too im sure somebody will get a kick out of it.

Complete breech of privacy and im damn glad i browse behind 3 proxys and use phony info on the net.
Old 05-07-08, 01:01 PM
OC3D Elite

I was talking about this last night and my dad said him and his wife actually watched a 60min tv show on it the other night lol he said it was in 6 parts, but they just kept clicking on the next part each time one ended.

I think there are a lot of things which pobably are copyrighted on youtube. The quality of the image isn't too good, but I guess some people must watch tv shows etc on it.

Also a great quote from my dad (he's over 60)

"they advertise on tv saying that if you miss an episode you can go to youtube and watch what you've missed"

haha

i5-2500K @ 4.8Ghz | 8G DDR3 | P8Z68-V GEN3 | Archlinux | Win7
Old 05-07-08, 01:05 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm not sure what outcome viacom want, but asking for logs of IPs and account info etc is a bit ott.

youtube does seem (like a lot of things in the internet) to be a bit open to certain content as it's not really actively policed, maybe that's what viacom could get out of this.

i5-2500K @ 4.8Ghz | 8G DDR3 | P8Z68-V GEN3 | Archlinux | Win7
Old 05-07-08, 06:57 PM
OC3D Elite

So they should hack down on Youtubes monitoring as to what people upload. Requesting logins, IPs, and monitoring what we watch is a direct invasion of privacy in my books. And its for no reason.