Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Rig Gallery

Old 30-06-08, 11:51 PM

potential rig

hello

i am here today to beg for some sponsorship for my rig as at the moment its pretty poor. what i have so far for the new rig which will only be as good as people help me make it

parts im getting:

Antec 900 case (which my friend is buying for me for my birthday)

XFX nForce 680i LT SLI (again i am getting it for my birthday (hopefully))

parts i have:

Asus p5n-mx motherboard

2 gb of crucial ram (nothing special)

ATI HD 3650 (im hoping to replace this as im not a fan of ati)

160gb hdd (which is awful)

apogee two part watercooling (its has the pump and waterblock combined and the rad and reservoir combined, wasnt really an improvement on fan cooling :/)

lets say i was to get sponsored with some parts

i would probably change the antec fans for some nice green ones with the rad mounted on the huuuuuuge 200mm fan thats all i have decided so far

please please PLEASE sponsor me! i dont get enough money to upgrade my pc as im only 16 :/ im also new to tinkering with pc's so there will be a bit of a learning curve

any help or thoughts would be appreciated

Embur

Old 01-07-08, 08:27 PM

is nobody going to help me?

Can somebody at least point me in the right direction

any help will be great
Old 01-07-08, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Wrong section you posted in tbh mate, but my advice would be don't bother getting an expensive case if it's the hardware you wanna sort out first to increase performance.

Mounting a rad on the 200mm fan in a 900 isn't really the best option, because rads are made specifically for 120mm [usually] fans, and the static pressure on a slow-spinning 200mm fan won't be so strong, as well as the dead-spot being huge.

Also you don't ask here for sponsorship- you apply direct to the companies- and they won't take you seriously if you are just gonna buy a load of parts and put everything together, you would have to do something to the project such as mod the case with sponsor logos etc to make it worthy of sponsorship.

680i is pretty old tech now, there are much better ways to spend your money than that, what CPU do you have?

Also just because you're 16 doesnt mean you need to have no money- get a paper round, you could of been earning money for two years now pal, thats how people afford stuff.

What are you looking to use your computer to do? Gaming or just watching vids? Also what resolution to you run your monitor at? That will affect what you should purchase with regards to graphics cards.

Old 01-07-08, 11:01 PM

that was my intention (modding the case with company names)

The rig is intended for gaming. My screen is running at 1280 x 768

I dont have a job because nobody seems to want a 16yr old with no work experience

My CPU is a intel core 2 duo

the case isn't expensive for me because I'm getting it for free :P, any reccommendations for a motherboard and finally what should I be doing to get myself sponsored

Thanks alot kerotan I really appreciate your help

Embur
Old 02-07-08, 07:48 AM
OC3D Elite

Tbh, ide give up on the sponsorship thing being new to pc modding, however if you still wish to go for sposorship, mod a cheap case, show how good you are with tools.

As for stuff to buy, ide think about getting a different board, perhaps a p35 if you are tight on cash.
Old 02-07-08, 08:53 PM

does the p35 support sli as eventually (probably very far in the future)

i do intend to have two nvidia cards in sli

i will probably give up on the sponsorship thing for now as it seems i am to much of a n00b

thank you for your advice and i bought a dremel thing today so will be modding my case atm, i will just engrave the side for now see how that goes

thank you for your advice Pat123
Old 02-07-08, 10:15 PM

generally i'd try to avoid going for a sponsorship unless i could eventually pay the people or company back with the thing they're sponsoring me with. i've had some awkward situations with my band involving sponsors
Old 02-07-08, 10:41 PM

lol thanks

what im trying to offer the sponsors is advertisement really and plus it would help me out to no end seeing as im not exactlay in the money

Embur
Old 02-07-08, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

P35 chipset does not support SLi, but really at 1280*768, a dual-card solution is pretty pointless, you'd do far better to grab yourself one of ATi's HD4850's or HD4870s which are absolutley great cards for the price, and will wipe the floor with anything below a 9800GTX+ [and above in the case of the 4870] . The absolute best value is probably the 4850 at your resolution.

For a motherboard to put it into, P35 is your best bet [P45 is better for "future-proofing", assuming you planned on getting a bigger monitor one day; though it is more expensive atm, but has the advantage of x8 + x8 crossfire support rather than x16 + x4, which will cripple the second card], although those cards will work in your current board, and right now your graphics card will be the bottleneck in your rig, even if your core2 is low-end.

ASUS make HD48xx cards so if you wanted to get some parts from them, i just browsed their website- not sure if it's the right address to contact them on but you could try that email address listed http://uk.asus.com/aboutasus.aspx?show=3 tell them that you will be posting your build log on several forums, modding the case with ASUS logo's and taking it to your local LAN tournament/computer fair (can't hurt ) I've never applied for sponsorship but i'm assuming it goes something like that? You get the parts and in return they get exposure when you tell everyone how much better their parts are than everyone else's, etc.

Old 03-07-08, 01:31 AM

thank you soo much kerotan i owe you big time

well if the ati cards are that good will try and get them and yes i do plan on having a big monitor for better resolution

thank you sooo much kerotan you did all the homework for me :P

Embur