Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 01-06-08, 09:28 PM
OC3D Elite

OC3D Exclusive Review: OCZ Neural Impulse Actuator (nia) - The Log

The OCZ nia is finally here and Overclock3D has been lucky enough to receive one of the first retail samples. Over the next month we'll be taking you through our experiences with the device. But for now - Day 1.

OCZ Neural Impulse Actuator (nia) Review

and dont forget to DIGG IT

Old 01-06-08, 10:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Awww man I'm still a touch gutted I couldn't make it there mate

Looks like good annoying fun.

I'll look forward to the updates. I just really want to see in a couple of months the videos people post up so we can really get an idea of what this is capable of in a game. Also hearing other experiences of how people have learned to practice certain functions and control all the different "brainfingers" at once.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 01-06-08, 11:04 PM
OC3D Elite

that looks mind boggling

kinda fun though...

hmmm

i dunno what to make of it though tbh..
Old 01-06-08, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

It would be interesting to see what you can do with a little more experience to be honest. I'd imagine the more you use it the more advanced functions you would be able to use. Maybe even ditch the mouse for just desktop use?
Old 02-06-08, 12:28 AM
OC3D Elite

With experience you could control the brainfingers I think, and they could be used in game for click / key functions but they are nowhere near complex enough to allow fluid movement or aiming or moving of cursors. That may come one day soon but I think that's the mistake a lot of people will be making when they go to buy one.

With plenty of practice it would become near subconscious I think, but I cannot see how it would be a viable piece of gaming gear yet, you would need to be playing in a sealed pod with 0 distraction and an epic attention span. Otherwise one grin or glance at your watch and you'll shoot a team mate in the back.

Old 02-06-08, 09:26 AM
OC3D Elite

dugg and what can I say!? If only i coulda drove up xD
Old 02-06-08, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Nice work, glad your doing ongoing investigations with it. If a monkey can learn to disassociate its limbs whilst using something similar I'm sure its only a matter of practice and configuration before the full brunt of what can be achieved with this product is apparent (Youtube Monkey Brain Control to see what I mean). Just think of the years of biomechanical work you have to unlearn first though, I've been using a keyboard/mouse/gamepad since the heady days of the commodore 16+4 so just under 30 years to retrain...thats gonna be difficult...but I'm sure the younger generations will pick it up in a snap...its also nice to see optimization for multi-core cpu's as well...got a feeling though theres gonna be plenty of software updates as I can see the software requiring a good tinkering...hoping I get me mitts on one this week
Old 02-06-08, 11:38 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jaster'
Nice work, glad your doing ongoing investigations with it. If a monkey can learn to disassociate its limbs whilst using something similar I'm sure its only a matter of practice and configuration before the full brunt of what can be achieved with this product is apparent (Youtube Monkey Brain Control to see what I mean). Just think of the years of biomechanical work you have to unlearn first though, I've been using a keyboard/mouse/gamepad since the heady days of the commodore 16+4 so just under 30 years to retrain...thats gonna be difficult...but I'm sure the younger generations will pick it up in a snap...its also nice to see optimization for multi-core cpu's as well...got a feeling though theres gonna be plenty of software updates as I can see the software requiring a good tinkering...hoping I get me mitts on one this week
Yea, if you think about it we have had years and years learning to use our fingers. It's not as if we have to think something specific to make them move, we just move them. I think jumping straight into games is the perfect way to get frustrated with it. You need to assign anything you struggle with to a function you will use just around the desktop, like right click. Eventually it would become second nature and would be usable in games.

Old 02-06-08, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

I'm thinking that the first game I am going to seriously give it a test with is something with very little in terms of actual inputs....I'm thinking trackmania...accelerate, brake, left and right...cant get more simple then that...break myself in easy...its gonna be do-able...if i can use to learn a wii-remote/dance-matt (although the knees did seem to give up after 15 mins)/and the guitar hero controller Its just a matter of practice albeit in a different sense...
Old 02-06-08, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

This device is weird and fascinating all at the same time.

Some initial thoughts are:

1. Positioning the headband as close to your eyebrows as you can seems to increase the ability to use the "glance" function.

2. Controlling the Alpha and Beta bars feels at time random, but then at other times I feel as if I have it under control. I can now raise all of the bars and lower them, but still cannot raise or lower individual bars.

3. The muscle functions are the easiest to work with, so clenching your teeth or raising your eyebrows always gets an immediate reaction.

4. There seems to be a lot of tweaking that you can do in order to calibrate the device. I'm know to be one that likes to fiddle with settings and configs until the cows come home, so how long I spend in these windows remains to be seen.

I'm looking forward to testing this device, but agree with previous comments made. In order to realise the true performance, it's going to take patience and time to get the "knack" of it. However, it should be an interesting month!