Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 21-05-08, 07:31 PM
OC3D Elite

OC3D Review: CoolIT Freezone Elite CPU Cooler

"The CoolIT Freezone uses the age-old Peltier concept to try and keep your CPU's temperature under control. Does it work? We find out..."

CoolIT Freezone Elite Review by Llwyd Johnson

Old 21-05-08, 08:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Seen those, love the idea of TEC cooling, got me thinking about doing something of my own, but then i realised how much money would be needed and thought against it. XD

From some other reviews i read, that thing sounds like a rocket taking off on full load, and that price tag?!?!? DAMN!!! no thanks.
Old 21-05-08, 09:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Cr@p; they can barely handle a low end dual core oc'd and they cost a fortune.

Thumbs down.
Old 21-05-08, 10:31 PM
OC3D Elite

£250 = ouch.

If it was competitively priced I think people would drum up even curious interest, I probably would.

Old 22-05-08, 12:00 AM
OC3D Elite

What a horrible horrible finish on the block... That's unacceptable at £250.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 22-05-08, 08:17 AM
OC3D Elite

Yea I dont really get whats going on there, low performance is one thing and there certainly is a market for it (although its probably priced itself out of that market) but a decent finish on the CPU block is the least you can hope for at that price. £5 Akasa coolers manage a better surface

It's an odd one because it really is fantastically well put together and has a lot of potential, just falls short in one too many important areas. I was speaking to Jim about it pre-publish and we both thought it was odd that the pelt is used to cool the water rather than to cool the CPU directly and the coolant / heatsink system used to cool the TEC

Old 22-05-08, 08:53 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='llwyd'
It's an odd one because it really is fantastically well put together and has a lot of potential, just falls short in one too many important areas. I was speaking to Jim about it pre-publish and we both thought it was odd that the pelt is used to cool the water rather than to cool the CPU directly and the coolant / heatsink system used to cool the TEC
Fundamental design flaw. Even if they addressed this I imagine the tec would be so weak that the cooling it offered would still be execrable for the price. As Llwyd stated there is a market for ‘ok’ all in one cooling but they have overpriced the product, even at £125 I’d say this was a rip off. A £40 air cooler gives it a run for its money.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again they should change their name – Cool(sh)IT

I feel sorry for retailers who stock this
Old 22-05-08, 12:19 PM
OC3D Elite

lol I wouldn't worry about sales, its brushed alu, lights and fancy peltier technology will easily woo the more well off thermaltake type buyers. Personally I would 100%, no question about it and nothing that could convince me otherwise, buy the NH-C12P I reviewed recently. It performs on par at higher loads (what matters) and doesn't ever sound like a space shuttle launch.

To convince me otherwise it would have to cost 75% less and perform 25% more

Old 22-05-08, 12:36 PM
OC3D Elite

I will say 1 +ve thing about the project tho.

It`s something that is appealing in it`s concept - if u like.

Block type cooler for the cpu - some wc type tubes/cabling, that runs off to something u can put in a drive bay.. extremely quiet fannage ..

Perfect tbh !

With pricing thrown around, I`d hesitantly pay £75 for a good project like this. If it was prooven to be 2ce as good as a scythe tower - I`d stretch £100-150. That way I see it as an investment as well as competeing with a full wc solution.

If it was absolutely an outstanding project with temps below 40 under load at all times with major quietness... £200? hmmm possibly, it`d have to be very prooven. I`d probably want connectors for other blocks tho LOL

Old 22-05-08, 12:40 PM
OC3D Elite

Yea but unfortunately then you would be talking some serious TECage, which would need its own power supply and a solution to condensation.

The coolit elite TECs were only like 80W in total, 40W per bank of 3 TECs and they managed to develop some slight condensation. I reckon if the coolant pulled much more below 11*C it wouldve started to drip

One idea would be a self contained unit, like the Elite but with the option for custom watercooling. Or a similar unit with higher wattage TECs and a 240mm radiator as part of the unit instead of the alu heatsink seen here