Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 06-05-08, 10:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to w3bbo
OC3D Review: Asus Xonar DX 7.1 Soundcard

With the Xonar DX 7.1 soundcard, have Asus managed to trim the excess fat from it's bigger brother without sacrificing perofrmance? Or have they put the DX on a diet so harsh it can't hold it's own weight with the new influx of audio solutions...

Asus Xonar DX Review

Old 06-05-08, 11:03 AM
OC3D Elite

Nice review webbo.

Good move by Asus tbh, but they need to be on top of the driver support!

Creative could slip further down the pan.

CPU: Intel Q9550 E0 @ 3.6ghz (424 x 8.5) | Swiftech GTZ

Ram: OCZ PC2-9200 4GB (2 x 2G Flex II @ 1121mhz 5-5-5-15 2T

GC: 2 x Sapphire 4870 1GB @ 780/4000

SC: Auzentech Forte 7.1

Monitors 3 x DGM 24" L2442W-VA LCD

HD's: 3 x WD 150GB Raptor (Raid 0) & 2 x Samsung F3 1TB (Raid 1)

Optical Drives: 2 x NEC DVD Writers

PSU: Enermax Modu82+ 625W

Case: NZXT Tempest

Cooling: Custom Water Cooling

Old 06-05-08, 11:23 AM
OC3D Elite

Nice review, good to see some soundcard action.

Manufs need to make these cards with; front panel support; connection for internal HMDI support; low profile; solid drivers for XP/Vista 32/64bit - as almost a standard.

Asus are not particularly some1 I`m wanting to either look for support or driver upd8s. They`re are exactly Creative in that department, but they don`t personally fill me with enthusiasm either. That`s just me, I don`t buy their products when there`s a viable alternative for just that reason.

£60 is an ~ok~ price for me. I`d be happier if it settled around £40-£50, but that`ll take some time.

Like to have a comparison playoff with ASUS, Auzen, Creative - and let`s say an Abit IP35 Pro onboard, as a look into the qualities, drivers, performance and price.

For the +/- using Vista 64bit and these choices, I`m edging towards taking the soundcards out of the systems tbh.

Old 06-05-08, 12:32 PM
OC3D Elite

I was a little hesitant about the price too but when you consider you are virtually getting a D2X (minus the frills) for half the price then it works out at a half decent price point. What most should consider I guess is the need for high performing audio over 'adequate' onboard solutions. IF all you do is surf the net then I guess onboard is fine but if your PC is a multimedia gateway then a dedicated solution is much better imo.

I am also concerned about driver support but we can only hope Asus keep on the ball with this one, either way it surely can't be as bad as Creative.
Old 07-05-08, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Excellent Review, much respect webbo: Wu-Tang Clan FTW!! I have a cheapo soundcard right now but if I'm looking to upgrade I'll definatley consider this, but tbh I don't know how much benefit I'd get running through the Aux on my 2.1 system, I wish 2.1 was listed as an option on my sound control panel but sadly I'm stuck with 2.0 or virtual 5.1

Old 07-05-08, 09:11 PM
OC3D Elite

good review

looks like a niceish card actually

and as for the comment about all the connectors being gold, you make a good point, but on the alternative side, green, pink and blue looks rather tacky ...

gold looks profesional, even if you dont know where to plug your wire
Old 08-05-08, 08:30 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kerotan'
Excellent Review, much respect webbo: Wu-Tang Clan FTW!! I have a cheapo soundcard right now but if I'm looking to upgrade I'll definatley consider this, but tbh I don't know how much benefit I'd get running through the Aux on my 2.1 system, I wish 2.1 was listed as an option on my sound control panel but sadly I'm stuck with 2.0 or virtual 5.1
Do you use headphones at all m8? If so then I'd says it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='ionicle'
good review

looks like a niceish card actually

and as for the comment about all the connectors being gold, you make a good point, but on the alternative side, green, pink and blue looks rather tacky ...

gold looks profesional, even if you dont know where to plug your wire
Yeah I agree gold looks better(and results in a better connection) and I didn't actually have any trouble connecting the audio up but I could forsee that in the average Joe setup with his case sat in the shade below a desk it would be nigh on impossible to get the right connector in the right hole (!) ahem. It would have been nice of Asus to include the led port lights its bigger brother has. Asus arn't the only ones guilty of this and although it's only a minor point, I thought it was a point worth making nonetheless.

Thx for your kind comments guys - my first review (of many hopefully) on OC3D
Old 08-05-08, 10:26 AM
OC3D Crew

ne1 recommend any DTS enabled cards?
Old 08-05-08, 10:47 AM
OC3D Elite

Xonar D2X?
Old 17-05-08, 01:42 AM

Cool review, interested in the newest model. Always nice to have alternatives from the Creative crap... Well, not crap. Hardware is ok, but software/drivers suck. I think Auzentech has a great card which is based on the Creative chip, but costs just as much as the most expensive one too.