Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > Games

Old 06-04-08, 08:07 PM

GT5 Prologue

No thread??

GT5 Prologue then! Got it when I bought another PS3 (mostly for BluRay playing) recently along with Las Vegas 2.

I've played it a fair bit and had the advantage of a couple of mates playing it with me as well - one a Wii fanboy and the other a die-hard GT fan

GT5 is a very cut down version of GT...you just know there will be more.

First off:

Updating the game

Updating the game was a ridiculous process, especially as I have 2 PS3's and had to get both updated when I played them. The updated inevitably failed first time then the first PS3 updated OK from clicking on the news menu. The 2nd one had a god-awful time of it and I eventually plugged in an ultra-long LAN cable (after opening the ports instructed to by the help on the website). Even then I again had to try twice from clicking on the news section in the menu.

Rant over :wallbash:

The Menu

The menu on the game looks cool but as mentioned is very clunky. The GT5 logo pops up at every menu and load time is around 5seconds which doesn't seem long but actually is. They do look cool but it's a little annoying getting a load screen just to peruse a menu. Having said that I was racing most of the time (obviously) so I can forgive it a little, plus it's a tech demo...ish. Not counting the tech demo for the tech demo of course (GT4: HD)

The Cars

First off: those complaining - go turn off every driving aid and turn physics onto professional. That way you'll get a decent driving experience.

The cars are actually pretty numerous I thought for a demo and for me the ol' Viper was a lush one to use. The GTR's cool and the Ferrari's are also pretty nice. Not got the F1 car but working on it

The one major gripe I had was with the BMW M3 which handles like cr@p and really doesn't represent the real thing much, but I suppose that's a little gripe.

Advice: take the tracks properly and don't play bumper cars. I like the fact that the S races and manufacturer cups make you play nice or punish you, which is cool.

The Graphics

Having played a load of next gen racing games I was expecting great things and GT5: P doesn't disappoint. The graphics are smooth and the cars look gorgeous. There's some very slight Aliasing going on there but nowhere near as much as say PGR. Environment detailing is excellent although a little bland in some tracks, but I especially love London and hope there's a lot more "closed in" race scenarios.

Lack of damage can be a little annoying at times as the cars feel a little too pristine and this also goes for the tracks too. Whilst they're all in great detail everything is a little to clean cut, a little more gritty-ness would have been good to make it all a little more immersive.

The sense of speed is certainly there during racing and it does draw you in, especially when you're in a fast car on a tight track. I especially like to see the other cars occasionally go off the track in a spray of dust, very cool.

All in all the graphics are what I expected which isa very good.

The AI

Ugh! The AI in GT games sears on my nerves like putting my hand in a blazing fire and cooling it off with some scalding hot water. Yes it is slightly improved, no it still isn't anyway near as good as Toca. I want cars to force me off the road, I want cars to realise I'm going to overtake and move over to block...I want a real race and a real battle. Sure the driving of the AI players is better than it was but it's still not as good as it can and should be. The good thing with the demo is that your cars aren't stupidly faster than the opposition so it can stil be a little tricky and the difficulty curve isn't too shabby so it's not easy to win every race every time.

Note to Polyphony: can do better.

Sound

Car sound is great in the game and I like it, the notes seem pretty accurate as is generally right in GT games and it does sound like you could possibly (in your dreams) be driving that F430!

However, there's a distinct lack of decent tracks in Prologue which is a shame as GT usually has a good round up. Hopefully the real thing will have a few more great tunes.

I haven't got round to some good online play yet which I will do after honing my skillz past rubbish I will do!

Overall

Overall the game is a solid demo and has a lot more content than every other paid-for demo's. Worth £20? Not sure but I got it freeish with a PS3 so meh. It does show off the potential of the PS3 though which is great. I haven't forked out for a rumbling controller yet but I do miss that in the game.

I think it's boding well for the actual game, if only they'd sort out the god-awful AI.

Taken off my Dell 2407 and GT5^

Old 06-04-08, 08:20 PM
OC3D Elite

i paid 22.99 second hand for GT5 prologue....

i think its damn good though

just cant get past B grade races...
Old 06-04-08, 08:23 PM

It's up for £17 in a few places?? most are offering it for £23.

I've beat everything but the S races which are pretty hard
Old 06-04-08, 08:34 PM
OC3D Elite

i can only see A, B, and C races

but the graphics are good, i hope the proper release of the game is better though, ...not that it can be much better, but yeah....
Old 07-04-08, 12:46 AM
OC3D Elite

All aids off in professional with a G25.. Now that's fun

Currently in A class I think..

What was annoying though as you pointed out. It took about 20 mins to download a update.. Then another 20 mins to update it.
Old 07-04-08, 07:40 AM

Aye I'm thinking of picking up a G25...not sure though
Old 10-04-08, 11:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Be sure

£200 mine cost.. £141 on komplett. bargin tbh lol
Old 11-04-08, 12:59 AM
OC3D Elite

after looking at that pic of an f40 I think i have reached heaven.

any more car pron?
Old 11-04-08, 09:18 AM

I'll see if I can take some more tonight

Bought the G25
Old 11-04-08, 10:40 AM
OC3D Elite

best decision you will make this month

EDIT: http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=299371 <-- shifter mods cuz shifter is overall tacky.