Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Air Cooling

Old 27-03-08, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Choosing a 120mm LED/UV fan

Pretty simple this one really, I wanted to put an LED fan in the side-panel mount of my 900- see the big gap in the avatar. However when I was looking around at specialtech, I noticed that you could get UV LED fans such as this one. I'm pretty n00b when it comes to fans, and I was wondering how loud 28.95dB is, and if I'd be better off with something quieter or different. Suggestions are welcome, preferably something blue though!

Old 27-03-08, 11:13 AM
OC3D Crew

tbh, i'd get a decent non-LED fan, and then couple it with a small UV CCFL in the bottom/back of the case.
Old 27-03-08, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Well I've got 2 UV CCFLs in the case, one is up top, and the other is on the back cos I haven't found a good place for it yet, where it's out of sight but still shines on stuff. Anyway for the fan you mean something like this? where the fan glows but doesn't have any LEDs in itself?

Old 27-03-08, 05:33 PM
OC3D Elite

just wack a yate loon in there.. sorted.
Old 27-03-08, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Cheers, that's exactly what I did, got me a D12SL, it's on it's way now It's still UV though but should be decent quality. I'll update some pics when it's installed and I've got my UV cathodes in a good place (and done a bit of tidying )

Old 27-03-08, 10:36 PM
OC3D Elite

Ah was just gonna say.. I've got 3 Antec Tri-Cools from my 900 sitting here doing nothing. Would have sold ya one for next to nothing if you were after a blue LED to match the rest.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 28-03-08, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

aww just a little too late mate, nvm you could try em in FS+WTD ppl are always needing case fans, and the TriCools are pretty nice ones for subtle blue.

Old 06-04-08, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Okay so I got the fan installed the other day, I was really impressed with both the quality of the fan, and the easy-mount system on the 900 (yes I'm lazy )

Here's a few pics, I know my cable management is appalling, it's something I need to get round to Also some of the cables are home-made so it looks naff but it's just a temporary solution and cost me £2 so I'm not too fussed.

The pressure of the yate- (excuse the art skills lol) [edit]just realised it looks as if that's a post-it note which would be stuck on, but they are actually from a pad which is unsticky in a box. wouldn't really be a very good demonstration of the pressure if it was![/]

Nice LEDs

Compared to stock it pwns em for brightness

Overall i'm well chuffed I'd defo recommend Yate Loons to anyone, can't touch em for quality, quietness and performance at the price.

Old 12-04-08, 12:50 AM

http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/...cat=523&page=1

I wouldnt mind one of these on the side of my 900 :P !!!
Old 15-04-08, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Bit to shiny for me mate, don't think it would fit in the stock 900 side panel either. Not a bad price if you're into that sort of thing though.