Old 10-03-08, 12:02 AM

OC3D Review: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition Quad Core CPU

Black is back

But is it good news for the Green Team?

Check it out

Old 10-03-08, 12:38 AM
OC3D Elite

Not a chance I'd buy one.

I used to be quite loyal to AMD but that was Athlon XP days.. It came to building a new rig and very nearly bought a X2 6000 but just couldn't ignore the gains I'd get from switching.

Point is until AMD drastically improve they aren't gonna get anyone building a new rig jumping over to them or even sticking with them.

Good review as ever Matt

Oh yeah and I agree it should have been run without the fix if 2 days of testing gave you nothing to actually fix.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 10-03-08, 02:16 AM
OC3D Elite

nice review mate.

1 slight point though: "socket AM2 users"---shouldnt that be am2+ users

somehow this makes me think that AMD are rushing things so they dont fall too far behind intel.the interesting fact is that the phenom is not far behind the q6600 in the benchies(well at stock,anyway),so maybe amd are heading in the right direction after all,roll on the AMD 8 core(as per your news post the other day)maybe they are not as far behind as we all thought?
Old 10-03-08, 07:21 AM
OC3D Crew

They have the revised ones out soon though and then 45nm ones later this year.

Aslong as they keep on track anyway. A big advantage for AMD would be to release 8core cpus on their AM2+ socket, as for intel you would have to buy a new mobo for nehalem.
CM Stacker 830 | Asus P45 P5Q-E | Q6600 - 9x378 - 3400 | 2x 2GB CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 760mhz | 2 x Palit 4830 625/1880 CrossfireX | WD740 Raptor - OS | WD3200AAKS - Games | 2nd WD3200AAKS - Storage| Custom WC'ing for CPU

3dmark06 = 18k + oh yeh

Old 10-03-08, 07:40 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Hatman'

Aslong as they keep on track anyway. A big advantage for AMD would be to release 8core cpus on their AM2+ socket, as for intel you would have to buy a new mobo for nehalem.
I don't think the B3 revision will offer anything special performance-wise, but it may allow for a lower TDP (hopefully) and a fix for the TLB issue. In my opinion AMD won't be able to squeeze that much out of the Phenom architecture in the bid to reduce the performance deficit by means of the new revision. Nahalem will mean a socket change because the memory controller will now reside on-die. It'll be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes in memory bandwidth next time around.

Good review Kemp, but unfortunately AMD doesn't have the goods this time to warrant a purchase. Hopefully the new 45nm procs will provide a much closer performing alternative.
Old 10-03-08, 07:45 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Hatman'

I don't think the B3 revision will offer anything special performance-wise, but it may allow for a lower TDP (hopefully) and a fix for the TLB issue. AMD won't be able to sqeeze that much performance out of it's current deficit by means of the new revision. Nahalem will mean a socket change because the memory controller will now reside on-die. It'll be interesting to see how much of a difference that makes in memory bandwidth next time around.

Good review Kemp, but unfortunately AMD doesn't have the goods this time to warrant a purchase. Hopefully the new 45nm procs will provide a much closer performing alternative.
Old 10-03-08, 12:25 PM

Ye I hope so too

Phenom is a good idea but fails to deliver when it should have - as far as being rushed out, it was very late so I don't think that's the case
Old 10-03-08, 05:16 PM
OC3D Elite

looks fair enough for performance

i think when i upgrade again, i'm gonna avoid 775, considering i had two 775 rigs die on me now..

as i've probably said before, probably just sheer bad luck, but ....

i've never had a problem with an amd system
Old 10-03-08, 06:47 PM
OC3D Elite

It`s a good comparison.

I don`t think the cpu does well in existing boards. It`s fair to say they `work` or work well, but it just seems to me that the boards haven`t been looked at enough.

Take an old board, put in a new cpu. I think the fsb in relation to the cpu timing could be looked at, not entirely sure how, but it could.

It`s fair to say tho, that if u had 2 pc boxes in front of u, with no idea if they had a Q6600 or a Phenom in either, performance-wize I bet it would be hard to distinguish.

How AMD fail to get the price margin right, when they`re obviously doing it to nVidia with gfxcards, it`s tough to comment on. Then Intel aren`t nVidia - even so.

Thanks for the read.

ionicle m8 - that`s definately bad luck. I been AMD for years and found 775 as my own machines very easy.

EDIT: It`s good to point out aswell that Kemp has chosen the correct cpus in which to make the comparisons here. I`ve seen a number of reviews where they pit the phenom against the likes of QX6800 - which is silly both pricewize and market-target.

Old 11-03-08, 02:39 PM

This review has some weak points.First thing i noticed is the Q6600 frequency used in the review,in the very graphs, which is 2.66Ghz.It actually should be 2.4Ghz and not 2.66,since the 2.66Ghz is the clock of Q6700.Second of all,the difference in results between the 2.3GHz clocked Phenom and 2.66GHz clocked C2Q is really NOT large and is mostly due the difference in the clocks(2.66/2.3=15.6% !!! ).So the author is claiming that the Q6600 working at 15% higher clock(and not its def. clock!) beating the 2.3Ghz Phenom,and with a relatively small margin in a number of tests, is due to better design of the C2Q??This is utterly false.We have 15% lower clocked Phenom not trailing more than 10-15% the Q6600 running at 2.66Ghz and the author is singing praises to the intel chip?This is very amusing!

Also,the author hasn't mentioned if the TLB fix was used in BIOS or not(or did i miss it?sorry if i did).The TLB fix induces the very noticeable penalty in real life usage in range of 6-30%!So having it ON in the bios is doing no favor to Phenom which in desktop usage scenario has practically zero chance of hitting this erratum!All new and some older boards come with the FIX ON by default and can't be tuned in so that the fix is disabled.The only way to properly test Phenom ,if this was the case,is to use the AMD Overdrive utility and change the "Turbo" button to Red(from Green).This turns of the fix(at least for ONE of the cores,this is what I've tested by myself).To turn of the fix completely,one would have to use MSR register editor,which i think is beyond the author's ability to do(no offense),and shouldn't be required from a regular user neither.

Third,the price of Phenom 9600BE is actually somewhat lower(at least in east Europe it is).Lowest i could find Phenom 9600BE was costing 197e and the Q6600 was around 214/213e!The clock author used in his test(2.66GHz) actually belongs to a lot pricier model Q6700 model.

Last,the OCing potential of this Phenom depends a lot on BIOS settings used,and from reading the author's comment on it i would have to say he is not very much familiar with the settings he should have used to OC this chip..At all.The easiest way was to read the (also pretty bad review) from Xbitlabs which did have one bright point and it was OCing settings needed for Phenom.The settings needed for OCing are very important even if you plan to OC the BE chip.From what I've seen Phenoms(be it BE or regular ones) can go anywhere between 2.4Ghz to 3.1GHz on a good air cooling.Vcore varies a lot and can go from stock to 1.45V.Also the Northbridge/L3 voltage is very important in the OC venture with Phenoms.None of the above were mentioned by the author.

And at the end of my post,to make a small joke in the spirit of the ending lines of OC3D Phenom review:

Of course, I haven't even mentioned 45nm Shangai/Montreal(8 core) yet....