OC3D Elite

New Phases: Cryo-Z reviewed and ThermalTake preview WIP

OCZ Cryo-Z

Oh dear... Doesn't look particularly good but it is REALLY cheap! Link

ThermalTake - work in progress

Tiny compressor! Rubbish temps? Link

Old 07-03-08, 02:51 PM
OC3D Elite

I have a bigger compressor than that in my fridge, And im not joking. R134a? lol and where's the insulation? Wait, it don't need it!

Thermaltake, step away from the phase. Save yourself MASSES of time and money and just don't bother.

OCZ one looks more like it. Dont like the fact they didn't just test it with a freaking CPU though. Nice to see he's put its not practical for 24/7 use in the conclusion.
Old 07-03-08, 04:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Oh god no, thats like giving a child on crack a hand grenade.

Like ham said, the OCZ one looks alright for the price but why he didnt test it on a cpu i do not know Build quality looks a bit crap though

Old 07-03-08, 04:13 PM
OC3D Elite

the ocz has a max load of 120w though... so that like a qx6850 stock at the maximum...

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 07-03-08, 04:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Ham,

Why are you glad they said it's not practical for 24/7? Just because that unit is loud/crap?

I'm under the impression a decent well insulated phase is fine for 24/7, I'm actually banking on it as I'm due a pay rise and plan to get a phase...

As for TT, can you piggy back 2 small compressors like those together and get decent perf? Figure it is easier to fit 2 tiny compressors in a case than 1 big one...
Old 07-03-08, 06:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Ham,

Why are you glad they said it's not practical for 24/7? Just because that unit is loud/crap?

I'm under the impression a decent well insulated phase is fine for 24/7, I'm actually banking on it as I'm due a pay rise and plan to get a phase..
Its perfectly possible to run a good unit 24/7. But its not worth the effort or cost.

Phase has more that the potential to slaughter hardware. Not only through condensation but through simply the stress of being heated and cooled to to the extent a phase change unit does. Elongate this and hardware dies. Look at what frag killed.
Old 07-03-08, 07:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Bah, Frag killed cause he thought Vapochill insulation was enough.

I've run phase solid on two rigs for 3 years, no problems. The units look like crap though, the OCZ is clearly Cooler Express oriented, which is even worse then OCZ trying and failling. The TT one just looke badly designed; its not a freakin waterloop!

Send me your food.
Old 08-03-08, 08:38 AM
OC3D Elite

Phase is great, however if youre going to get it, you might as well get one of the little devil built units from Aqua-pcs. They can hold 240w load at around -30...

-----------

Project: Flat Pack - Coming soon
Old 08-03-08, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='teknokid'
Phase is great, however if youre going to get it, you might as well get one of the little devil built units from Aqua-pcs. They can hold 240w load at around -30...
And cost a fortune. The Cryo-Z should be cheap enough to warrant buying it over water and I know for a fact that every single unit will be properly QA'd so the quality should be good when they get released
Old 08-03-08, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

If the max stable load really is 120W then there's going to be a lot of burnt out compressors from people trying to run heavily overclocked quads...