Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 25-02-08, 06:41 AM

OC3D Review: XFX Tri SLI - 3 x 8800 Ultra's in 3 way SLI

Tri SLI?

See how it fares

Old 25-02-08, 08:48 AM

I didn't even expect it to be that good, I am impressed! Crysis still chokes it on V.High too, that game is ruthless.

Maybe with the 9 series soon Ultras/GTX will get cheaper and this might be a viable option before we know it (to those who aren't swimming in money)
Old 25-02-08, 09:28 AM

Yes it was a pleasent surprise tbh, the 9 series should make it even better
Old 25-02-08, 09:57 AM
OC3D Elite

Great read. The results do look good, and the comment about how the games `feel` is a better qualifier for me.

I`d not even entertain this, even with planning ahead months in advance to afford it. Does look nice tho hehe

Heat is an issue for me; power is crazy talk - but obviously a requirement, which is where the heat is going; drivers and/or a card being tempremental, I can do without, just don`t need it ontop of other pc dodgyness.

All said and done, I`m banking on the top end single card for the generation to come.

Be nice to see single slotted cards or wc solutions of this being tested.

Some fine benches too.

Old 25-02-08, 12:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Unless I came into some serious wedge then its not something i'd consider.. I'm with most here and reckon on a single card top end when it finally arrives.

Quick thing Matt.. Did you give overclocking it a go at all or would it have caused a total meltdown?
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 25-02-08, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

The performance gains does not justify the price at all, i mean seriously why cant they just get standard SLI to just work properly before moving on to tri, quad and so on...

For this cash i would want to see stable FPS, not 40-500fps ranges, you look at any competitive gamer and the key thing for there setup is constant FPS, why else do you think most of them stick to the low 800x600 res?!?
Old 25-02-08, 12:42 PM
OC3D Elite

It did OK and nothing more IMO.

For what it costs tri-sli should be a mindblowing experience. It isn't.

It is better than quad fire was but it should be. That is no argument for merit anyway, it is like defending the 9600gt on the basis it is better than the 8600gt. Yes it is but it is still a poor excuse for a mid range card.

The people who will be buying this won't care for priceerformance, the rest of the people using this will be top benchers who get it for free...

I wish people (reviewers and consumers) would be a lot harder on this industry than they are. If we continue to accept and praise half arsed developments then manufacturers will continue to sell them.
Old 25-02-08, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
It did OK and nothing more IMO. For what it costs tri-sli should be a mindblowing experience. It isn't. It is better than quad fire was but it should be. That is no argument for merit anyway, it is like defending the 9600gt on the basis it is better than the 8600gt. Yes it is but it is still a poor excuse for a mid range card. The people who will be buying this won't care for priceerformance, the rest of the people using this will be top benchers who get it for free... I wish people (reviewers and consumers) would be a lot harder on this industry than they are. If we continue to accept and praise half arsed developments then manufacturers will continue to sell them.
i think you're right in some respects, but i think nvidia really do want to release the full potential of tri SLI. it outperforms anything out there which is why it HAS to have a good performance score and award. the fact that it isn't an economically viable solution is reflected in the price score.

it' not perfect but it's a lot better than any other solution right now snd will improve with driver revisions
Old 25-02-08, 01:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'

I wish people (reviewers and consumers) would be a lot harder on this industry than they are. If we continue to accept and praise half arsed developments then manufacturers will continue to sell them.
That`s the norm, that`s how PC dev is. Every now and again there is a blip of good progress tho.

Nothing anyone can do about it, it`s cash driven. Not good tho.

Who know`s nVidia maywell be holding back BIGTIME with their gfx gpus, just cos they can. It`s been.. since Nov/Dec 2006, and no1 in the freeworld has broken the 8800GTX/Ultra as a single card. They get their wedge each time they beat their last card by some %. The big deal IS to realize that in their mind the 9600 has to beat the 8600, nothing else, no great leaps.

Old 25-02-08, 01:29 PM

Yes it does feel like nvidia are playing it safe a bit, but then who can blame them? Release a card with minimal tweaks and rake in the cash, it's good business. Tri SLI is a step in the right direction tho so that deserves recognition.

Soz for missing the oc'ing que - am on mobile. I did OC a bit before hols but when i actually did the benchies i didn't get time for conclusive resluts.

In all fairness it didn't seem to make much of a muchness as the power is still not being used to full potential as it is.

Hope that answers y'all!