Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Networks & Security

Old 16-12-07, 05:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Which for Firewall & AV & Malware ?

Automatic choice for me on XP is ZoneAlarm Security Suite. It does all 3 and gives a confident feel about it too.

Now for a Web-browsing pc, that also handles miscelleneous file transfers for 4 pcs, simple copying back`n`fore, supplies mobile phone with sound files etc, and since it`s a Q6600 - I`m gonna let it do both the movie viewing to the HDTV and any conversion stuffs. It folds too, but that`s either way.

Now unfortunately the ZA on Vista trudges the system down quite alot, they obviously still have issues to sort out.

I`ve given ESET another try, it doesn`t do malware, it doesn`t give me that much confidence either, can`t explain it, but it`s a feeling. (for an example, randomly I`m getting a sound thing for ebay and something else when being on OC3D) And the firewall I have to disengage to do file transfers for 6mbs. With it I get about 3. (that`s will IPv6 disables and also the netsh auto- thingy). Infact I can`t get 20mbs unless I use XP.

Also have to disable it to send folding WUs. Don`t ask me why, but f@h and a number of things I can allow access in the menus, but it still fudges up. Some of my rss things go screwy too.

What are the alternatives like ? Kasper ? I want a suite, 3 in 1 thing. Doesn`t slow Vista down any more than it is.

Either that or I`m gonna be weighing up XP again, which I`d rather not do for this machine cos it`s an unenviable enevitability.

I was thinking ZoneAlarm with the firewall disabled, I`m not that fussed on firewalling.

Meh opinions ? (and no stating the obvious OS issues, I gotta try and keep Vista on here)

Old 16-12-07, 06:47 PM

I quite like the newest mcafee. Can be configured to be pretty streamlined. By many accounts F-Secure is really good aswell.

Old 16-12-07, 07:11 PM
OC3D Elite

spybot search and destroy, lavasoft adaware, AVG Free, and then just use windows firewall, if your behind a router, you *should* be fine
Old 16-12-07, 09:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Router firewalls are great for incoming probs. I`m happen with that.

McAfee & F-Secure I haven`t checked out in years, and wasn`t too impressed, but time moves on, could be worth a revist if they`re resource friendly in Vista. Try them Kasper and I seen another one the other day that was in Suite form.. can`t remember the name.

What I want to keep from, ionicle, is getting like 2 or 3 products to do what a suite does.

Windows firewall = automatic turn off.

Old 17-12-07, 09:37 AM
OC3D Elite

Every suite has its flaw tbh but the best ive come across is one called Norton. It protects me in everyway and follows the rule, whenever the user can do something on the pc - it endangers the pc, so it stops you. Period lol

I use NOD32, the new comodo (very swish) + a scan using www.hitmanpro.nl every so often.
Old 17-12-07, 09:58 AM

I use ESET and stick it all on expert mode. That way it's highly controllable.

ZA doesn't stop everything, nothing does tbh. Use ESET + Spybot & Adaware
Old 17-12-07, 11:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='mrapoc'
Every suite has its flaw tbh but the best ive come across is one called Norton. It protects me in everyway and follows the rule, whenever the user can do something on the pc - it endangers the pc, so it stops you. Period lol

I use NOD32, the new comodo (very swish) + a scan using www.hitmanpro.nl every so often.
hehe ya. Comodo just had a new suite release out I believe..

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez'
I use ESET and stick it all on expert mode. That way it's highly controllable.

ZA doesn't stop everything, nothing does tbh. Use ESET + Spybot & Adaware
Ya I use expert, keep having to stop the filtering completely cos it`s blocking something, or atleast throttling the access, to something it`s been told to allow. The folding SMP is a good example, from a fresh boot it will start up well (meaning it`s allowing stuff) - u go back several hours later and u see the console struggling with stuff, u close the filtering and all goes well. It will stop email and web functioning too after a while.

ZA SS may not stop everything out there, but with it I`ve not had any issues, or any intrusions for years, other than working with Vista. Never had any need to use Spybot or Adaware whilst having the suite, used to use Adaware b4 they were taken over, that was when ZA was just a firewall.

Wanna try and stay with one thing, even tho I advise to use more than one.

Old 18-12-07, 12:48 AM
OC3D Elite

I found Eset blocked a lot of stuff i told it to allow - such as network discovery etc.