Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 10-06-05, 10:49 AM

Smallest ever transisters= tiny PC's

It looks like those clever science bods have done it again and gone and invented transisters that are 1molecue long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired
Scientists at the University of Arizona have discovered how to use quantum mechanics to turn molecules into working transistors in the lab, a breakthrough that might one day lead to high-powered computers the size of a postage stamp.

Results of the as-yet-unpublished study came together just weeks before Canadian researchers performed a similar feat using chemical means. That experiment appeared in the journal Nature last week. Together, the two studies could bring the final frontier in nanocomputing -- a single-molecule transistor -- considerably closer to reality.
So we go from:

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='"Wired"'
The smallest transistors in consumer electronics devices today measure 50 nanometers across
to one molecule!! So a PC the size of a postage stamp??

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='"Wired"'
The Arizona team's proposed transistor is a ring-shaped molecule such as benzene. Attaching the two electrical leads to non-opposite sides of the ring -- at, say, the 12 o'clock and 4 o'clock positions -- allows the electrons to flow through the molecular ring and not destructively interfere with one another. (Due to the quantum wavelike laws of nature that electrons follow, attaching electrical leads at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions causes the current to cancel itself out.)
OK, too much physics for me there, but basically its really small!!

Full article at Wired and a nice summary at Bit-Tech

Old 10-06-05, 11:16 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
Sweeeeet... this could lead the way for some cool wearable shit
Old 10-06-05, 04:14 PM

wow a computer that you can wear, they only now need to find ot how to tap it into your brain! for instant access!
Old 10-06-05, 04:26 PM
OC3D Elite

As much as i love the idea of small computers, i still want a big a$$ rig sitting on my desk growling at me
Old 10-06-05, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='XMS'
As much as i love the idea of small computers, i still want a big a$$ rig sitting on my desk growling at me
Yeah me too