Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section > OS & Apps

Old 07-06-05, 09:24 PM

Windows XP 64 Bit

Ok now Windows XP 64 bit is currently out, whey I can use it on my 64 bit Athlon..... erm nope sorry you cant. Read on (this took me ages i stole this from this months issue of computer shopper so u lot dont have to buy it)

The Low Down

On 23rd September 2003, AMD brought 64-bit computing to the attention of mainstram computer users when it launched the groundbreaking Athlon 64. However, there was a hitch in AMD's plan:

64-bit chips cant do anything special without a 64-bit operating system. True, several distributions of 64-bit Linux are available, but 64-bit version of windows was needed if 64-bit computing were really to cross into the mainstream.

Microsoft has now removed the beta tags from its 64-bit version of windows, known as windows XP proffesional x64 Edition.

A 64-bit proccessor that supports AMD64 or EMT64T is the only hardware you absoulotly must have to run Windows XP x64, this comprimises AMD's Athlon 64 and operton range along with the latest generations on intel proccessors.

INFO: Until the 31st July 2005, anyone with a 64-bit capable PC running windows XP proffesional and bought after the 31st March 2003 can upgrade for FREE. HOWEVER, doing so will invalidate any support package your currently have.

What is 64-Bit?

When chip manufactuers upgraded their proccessors from an 8-bit based to 16-bits and then 32 bits, they dramaticaly increased there ability to perform complex tasks. When we describe a proccessor, operating system or anything else as 64-bit were reffering to the amount of data it can muniplate as a single chunk. A 32-bit proccessor can perform opertations on chunks of data of up to 64 digits.

Thats all the intresting stuff guys left the rest out... but still worth knowing.

Thanks,

Arky =)

Old 07-06-05, 10:06 PM

wow, i dint know any of that! repps for you!
Old 07-06-05, 10:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
Interesting, interesting indeed!
Old 07-06-05, 10:39 PM

yep so any of u got a legit copy of 64-bit u will get FREE upgrade! lol who does... haha!
Old 07-06-05, 10:41 PM

i got a ledgit copy of xp 32 bit
Old 07-06-05, 10:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via AIM to FragTek Send a message via MSN to FragTek Send a message via Yahoo to FragTek
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Arkanoid'
yep so any of u got a legit copy of 64-bit u will get FREE upgrade! lol who does... haha!
I have legit copies of all Windows OS's Benefits of your father being an ex-Microsoft employee, hehe.
Old 07-06-05, 10:49 PM

DAMMIT u suck frag =(

get me some pllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee!
Old 07-06-05, 11:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanoid
DAMMIT u suck frag =(

get me some pllllllllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee!
Nope, for me and me only
Old 08-06-05, 08:58 AM

I Have a legit copy of XP-Pro
Old 08-06-05, 12:36 PM
OC3D Elite

i have a legit copy of xp home......but im using xp pro