Go Back   Overclock3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 28-10-07, 10:59 AM
OC3D Elite

OC3D Review: Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 sound card

Can Auzentech build a better X-Fi?

Will the Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 sound card make the grade?

If you'd like to find out the answers to these and many of life's other mysteries...check out the review.

Linkage

Old 28-10-07, 11:25 AM
OC3D Elite

Wow, Nice review PV!

Looks to be a solid card.
Old 28-10-07, 11:51 AM

Looks like a decent card, if only they didn't have to use Creative drivers tbh
Old 28-10-07, 11:57 AM
The Webmaster

i can certainly vouch for it i have one and i love it everything about it just 'feels' better than the other x-fi i had

would love a THX console for calibrating my speakers though but that aside i absolutely love it
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | NZXT Hale 90 v2 1000w | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Pure - White | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702 Reference Headphones | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!

SPS : Apparently they bend if you sit on them in your back pocket - which fucking spasticated mother fucker puts a phone in their back pocket
Old 28-10-07, 12:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='SuB'
i can certainly vouch for it i have one and i love it everything about it just 'feels' better than the other x-fi i had

would love a THX console for calibrating my speakers though but that aside i absolutely love it
Seeing as it`s software is creative hybrid, I wonder if u can use the THX console that creative have on their cds ?

For me, these cards are equivilant to how an nVidia reference card gets adopted by other manufs.

Talking about the population of a creative card in comparison to this one, it`s also fair to bare in mind that out of the 5 or 6 creative x-fi cards that have been/are available, ranging from the cheapest to the professional studio ones, the density of the surface mounting goes from sparce to crazy-mad-caps-per-inch.

I would have liked to have seen a "crackle-test" on this card too, creative cards get easily bogged down fighting for internal bus usage (so it would appear but not confirmed) which makes them crackle. It`s a mad test to emulate, and it`s conditions are not 100% duplicate-able. But if u have a pc thrash at something like fah on all cores, do some rar`ing, do some massive file transfers..... and play some music - u get crackle on a creative x-fi. Maybe this is more a blame of the mobo design, or windows design, but it would be interesting.

Also - I want pci-e in this crazy lacking pci slot world !

Old 28-10-07, 12:55 PM

Creative just dont support THX in Vista, they suck

Crackle test - would have been interesting you're right

And yep, lets hope some PCI-e versions get out real soon
Old 28-10-07, 01:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Thanks all for your feedback

@ Rast: For what it's worth mate this machine folds 24/7 (SMP units); music is on all the time that I'm at the machine, and I do transfer quite a bit on my network....not massive, but perhaps on the larger side than normal and I have yet to hear crackle from this card.

A lot of the crackle/pop issues came from Nvidia based motherboards from the reading I have done. My X-Fi Xtreme Audio did it from time to time though, giving out a considerable pop.

I'll throw a little more at it if you like to see if I can replicate the issue
Old 28-10-07, 01:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Nice review PV
Old 28-10-07, 01:10 PM
OC3D Elite

There are so many threads and theories on how the crackle comes about. It`s been the baine of creative cards going all the way back to audigy2.1.

I`ve heard the nVidia chipset thing, but in the same instance, whilst I`ve read about them I`ve been using via chipset mobos, never had an nVidia tbh.

All I know for sure is that I can duplicate it on one of my setups 100% of the time. In fact I can use any of the 3 x-fis to get it, and swapping out for any of the old sblive cards I got too, which leans me more to thinking it`s how windows handles the tasks or the mobo shares the bus bandwidth. Different drivers can ~seem~ to help, but this `apparently` is down to where they establish themselves in memory. Switch out a card, and back it`ll come.

The only thing I personally think minimizes it, is to stick it in a slot that is either not paired with anything, or if u`r board relys on pairing, turn the other things off. I turn off parallel ports, serial, raid, anything that`s not required.

Bah, only creative labs could come out with a definative answer, but as we`re all aware - if it aint a brandspanking card for the latest os - they don`t want to know. To be fair, even then they show little interest.

Old 28-10-07, 02:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Fantastic job there Pvs, very hard thing to review well, but you've pulled it off